Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to Dave Allen?

Options
  • 02-10-2004 1:19am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭

I was chatting with a friend earlier and somehow got onto the subject of Dave Allen, the Irish comedian who was huge in the UK in the 70's. I remember it being a big deal to be allowed watch him as he was probably the first comedian to swear on TV. I also remember that he was extremely funny and made a point of having an anti-church joke or sketch every week. He only had 4 fingers on one hand and finished his show with the line "May your God go with you".

Anyone know if he's still alive and whatever became of him after his TV show ended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dave Allen at his peak was great though I remember seeing some of his old stuff on a C4 retro show and it seemed almost quaint. Digs at the expense of the Catholic church etc is sooooo passe!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Devilman

I'm pretty sure hes performing at the Red Cow this Christmas

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm glad to hear that he hasn't shrugged off his mortal is still kicking around. I agree that now most of his routine would probably hardly shock a nun when compared to today's comedians, but at the time it was revolutionary. Jokes about the church are passé now, but in the 1970's it was cutting edge stuff and Allen paved the way for a lot of the "alternative" comedians who followed in the '80s.

Ah Dave Allen-he had a sense of humour.

One of his joke stories I always remember.
    He was talking about when as a kid at funerals they were saying prayers at the grave side...

For years he thought the prayer they were saying was...

In the name of the Father and the son and into the hole he goes...

of course it was actually in the name of the father and the son and the holy ghost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement