Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Coupland - Eleanor Rigby

Options
  • 30-09-2004 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has read this and has any opinions? I used to be a huge fan - loved genX, life after god and microserfs but I'd tuned out a bit after being disappointed by the last few books. But I breezed through this and really liked it. Not the most facinating plot ( 40 something women reunited with kid she gave up for adoption ), but his observations on life are excellent. Some wonderful prose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I haven't read it yet but it's on the next to buy list. Personally i loved his later stuff, Shampoo Planet and Miss Wyoming were both good books and Girlfriend in a Coma rates as an all time favourite. I thought if anything, his books hav gotten better as he's matured as a writer. What disappointed you about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I enjoyed it immensely - I feel like he hit a low point with "Miss Wyoming" but the books released since then have been incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

If you haven't read Hey Nostradamus! , please do.... wonderful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yeah hey nostradamus rocked... liked eleanor rigby a lot too but they ending was a bit meh for me... still he throws in some bloody awesome paragraphs sometimes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

anyone else find that coupland has a habit of writing a amazing book every second one?as one of my all time favourite authors i do love him and am quite biased towards him, but i do feel disappointed by him every second book, even before i read eleanor rigby i had a feeling it wasn't going to be one of his best :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

Yea - a bit like Star Trek movies.
    Hey Nostradamos was fantastic but never got into Eleanor Rigby

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Apparently he's writing a "Microserfs" sequel at the moment! Happy days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

I seem to like the books other people consider to be his worst, shampoo planet and miss wyoming are my favourites. I did'nt enjoy Hey Nostrodamus much at all. I still prefer Bret Easton Elllis and Jay McInerney.

Advertisement