Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loading The Sims 2 problem - PLEASE HELP!!

Options
  • 29-09-2004 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I just installed the Sims 2. However, when I try run the game I get the following message:

"Cannot locate CD ROM - we have detected CD?DVD emulation software on your system. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and restrt the Sims 2".

After numerous attempts to resolve the problem I finally gave up and sulked for an hour. I did notice a clone of my DVD drive in My Computer (not sure where it came from) but I uninstalled from the device manager. So I now have my CD and DVD drive in My Computer.

I also uninstalled Nero and anything else to do with backing up cd's, just in case. All to no avail. I know it was probably something I installed in the past but I really never used any CD/DVD emulation software for the sole purpose of emulating CD drives or creating an image of any game in the past.

Please, any advice will be appreciated. I really want to play this game. How do I find the alleged CD/DVD emulation software on my PC. Add/Remove programs shows nothing. I went through everything I can think of

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could look in the registry or even download on of them reg cleaners - there could be something left over that wasn't deleted properly.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Thanks - I was thinking of that. I may get a reg cleaner. Can anyone recommend one?

Registry is a delicate place. ANything else I could try? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

firstly nero isnt important... i dont beleive it does emulation.

2 most important programs to check for are alcohol 120% or clone cd.

If u have clone cd installed uninstall it or try this:
    If you have the CD burning software Alcohol 120% installed you need to turn off all of the emulation options.
    1) Go to File > Options.
    2) Click on Emulation in the menu to the left.
    3) Uncheck all options in the window to the right.

If you have CloneCD you need to turn off the Hide CDR media setting. This setting is accessable from the task tray icon for clone CD. Right-click on the icon and uncheck Hide CDR media. If it is not accessable or greyed out you need to do the following:

1. If the CloneCD Tray icon is running, right-click on it in the system tray and select Exit to close it down.
    2. Go into Windows Control Panel, then open Regional and Language Options.
    3. Change your Language setting from "English (United States)" to some other English country like "English (United Kingdom)" or "English (Canada)". Click, OK to save the language setting change. Note: you must change the Language, NOT the "Location" setting. The "Location" setting has no effect on this issue.
    4. Now start the CloneCD Tray icon back up from the CloneCD start menu program group.
    5. Right-click on the CloneCD icon in the system tray and you'll notice the "Hide CDR Media" option is no longer grayed out and has a checkmark next to it.
    6. Select the "Hide CDR Media" option to remove the checkmark and disable the option.
    7. Close the CloneCD Tray icon again (right-click and select Exit).
    8. Go back into Regional and Language Options in Control Panel and set the language option back to "English (United States)", then click OK to save the language settings.

If that doesnt work I suppose u could root in the registry (dangerous)....

finally it is a legal copy of the sims isnt it???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id this problem with the Sims 2.Hit alt-ctrl-del and see if theres an application called incd.exe or incd.srv running.End the 2 of these and see if that helps.Turns out they are both part of Nero and wont allow the Sims to run.
    If they are causing the problem uninstall INcd in the add/remove program panel.
    Hope this helps
    Richie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Actually if you've alcohol 120% you can leave it as it is with emulation on, I've the disc imaged and have no problem playing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Thanks for all the help people. It turns out that ages ago, I installed a demo of CloneCD. I uninstalled that and now it works. Didnt have a proper chance to play it, did the tutorials and it looks like loads of fun. I knew it was something silly that I did. Very frustrating at first.

Again, thanks a million.

PS - Of course its legal. A game like that is well worth the few bucks ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah you might need an update if you have Alcohol 120%, they update it regularly to get around games like this. If it's a problem, you just set your amount of virtual drives to 0.

Advertisement