Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Music Acts For Inishowen Rock Fest

Options
  • 29-09-2004 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

"Top Music Acts For Inishowen Rock Fest
    Tuesday 21st September 2004

By Ian Cullen

Plans are in motion to make Buncrana the Glastonbury of Donegal with top rock musicians being lined up to take the town by storm next summer, the 'Journal' can reveal.

World renowned artists such as The Darkness, Snow Patrol, Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen and Status Quo have already been approached to take part in the ambitious event planned for the Inishowen seaside resort.

The exciting move to bring big name entertainers to Buncrana is bring spearheaded by a number of local business people and is intended to help prolong the tourist season in Inishowen as the peninsula's festival season draws to a close.

And if Buncrana's rock concert proves successful next year, it's anticipated the event would become an annual flagship attraction for the town and a welcome economic boost to the area.

It's believed such a major event could generate upwards of a one million euro turnover for the local economy.

Former Mayor, Fine Gael Councillor Peter McLaughlin, who is leading the bid to make Buncrana a top Irish concert venue, told the 'Journal' that he was currently in " discussions" with local businessmen and and concert promoters.

"Killarney and Galway have already attracted stars such as Shania Twain, Bob Dylan James Taylor, which have really boosted tourist trade.

"It could be as early as next summer that Buncrana will play host to such stars as the The Darkness, Snow Patrol, Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen or Status Quo if all things go to plan.

"Concert promoters have already visited the town to identify sites suitable to hold the event in the town."

And the local councillor believes "the timing could not have been better" as plans are also afoot to market the Inishowen peninsula as a more desirable tourist destination.

"The event is designed to help prolong the tourist season in Inishowen with a proposal to stage the event in August, although that will also depend on the touring schedule of the artist." "Visitors are event led and it is vitally important to have an attraction to offer when they come here. What better way for Buncrana to get its place on the tourism map than by getting major entertainers to include the town in their touring diaries.

"It's hoped that this event - should everything go to plan - will be the first of what will be a very successful annual event and that it would successful in terms of establishing Buncrana as a major venue," added Colr. McLaughlin.

North West Tourism boss, Paul McCloone, confirmed that his organisation will "row in behind" the initiative should it get the green light.
    "
    Copied from Derry Journal Website.

What do all you guys think of this. Myself, I think it would be great but I am not too sure it will ever actually happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Could be good if they mange to actually do it.. better craic than 'The Memories' anyway.

All to easy to imagine them making a balls of it though... how's the Plaza doing these days for instance? I've seen the plans for that place - impressive, but I think just unrealistic enough for it never to be done, which will leave Brian Flanagan with a very nice Main St. property (purchased, in apparent good faith, with a lot of the towns money).

It mystifies me how anyone came to the conclusion that that feckless gob****e was the right man to oversee the creation of a modern music venue (the guy removed an abstract nude painting from an art exhibition), but that's Buncrana for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Watch out for them flying pigs, they have a tendancy to **** on your head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Andrew Flanagan

This Gob****e must assume he knows what he's talking about, but somehow I doubt it. Let us pray for him. Where do I begin...?
    First of all, with regard to the "abstract" paintings in the Tullyarvan Mill,
    there were two of them, not one. They were six foot tall, very intentionally grotesque nudes. Now don't bother telling me "All art is pure & subjective". Parading these Geiger-esque monstrosities in full view of children is artistic
    freedom with its head in its ass, literally.
    Their display was accompanied by a leaflet stating that they were
    inspired by the writings of Michelle Foucault. Michelle Foucault is
    famous across the world for advocating buggery, bestiality, and
    paedophilia. In other words, the man is synonymous with every kind of sexual deviation imaginable. I must assume you favour this kind of influence in a
    family institute like the Tullyarvan Mill. I would have thought art
    of this ilk more appropriate to Broadmoors Asylum for the Criminally Insane.

Also for the readers who have been misinformed by your unfortunate
    ignorance, the purchase of the Plaza is being effected by the Indoor St. Ltd., a company limited by guarantee, just like the Tullyarvan Mill. It has no shareholders, only equal members. The finance is supplied interest-free by the Plaza Multiplex Ltd., in which there are about 30 shareholders and to whom several loans have been extended interest free.
    If you, or any reader of this, wish to put your money where your
    mouth is, your participation is most welcome but rest assured
    Foucault and his cronies, ignorant or otherwise, will not be.
    I can only hope that your unfounded, cynical and defamatory comments
    (you should read up on Irish Slander/Libel Law...very interesting)
    are the result of some, not yet diagnosed, anomaly confined only to you.

I looked at your website and it appears that you are endeavouring to start some sort of community project. Glad to hear it, but I don't think that "encouraging" local initiative is your forté.

I look forward to your reply with the utmost enthusiasm but I leave you with some parting advice, Michael..

"Speak softly and tread even softer, someone is always listening."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'll apologise to anyone who thought to take what I said as fact. I've always attributed the words 'I think' to mean personal opinion. And from what I have seen, my personal opinion is that the Plaza is going nowhere fast.

I bare no particular ill will towards Brian Flanagan (I had other reasons to be annoyed that day, which may have come through stronger than expected in my post), and hope to high heaven that the Plaza gets done eventually - it would be great for the town - but I feel I've been hoping for quite some time now. Perhaps you yourself can clear the air and explain what is actually happining with the building?

Perhaps having our own 'Local Initiative' fall on its hole, largely due to a great lack of initiative, has inbittered me somewhat. But I warn you, my opinions are not particularly 'confined only to me' but reflect a growing sentiment within the town. That we're being shat on by those with the power and money to do so. Time and time again.

I'd be overjoyed for you to prove me wrong. There is a very large music and artistic scene within Buncrana's youth which is currently being uncatered for - and the Plaza is such a good location.

As for the art - the pictures got put back up in the end, did they not? I also remember seeing them on the front page of the Inish Times. And I'm afraid this is perhaps one area where we do indeed differ in opinion. But that's art for you ;) No one's forcing you to look.

Apologies again for any offence caused, and thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement