Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any NTL alternatives for Lucan?

Options
  • 29-09-2004 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all!

[Apologies if I’ve posted this in the wrong forum]

I have been reading a lot of the info on these boards, and lets just say that a lot of it has simply gone right over my head!

I live in Lucan Griffeen Valley area. This area is not down in a dip like the main Lucan village is. From our attic I can see the Dublin mountains. What options if any, other than NTL, do I have at receiving additional TV stations? Is there anyone here from the Lucan area that has tried any possible solutions?

I have seen the satellite option for Free to View from satellite.ie, which gives BBC's, Sky News etc. has anyone used this, and what is your experience of it? What other solutions can be used in conjunction with this to increase the choice of stations available?

What about aerials? Apart from 'rabbets ears' to view RTE etc, is there any type of aerial that can be used to pick up from any of the UK transmitters, or is the location of Lucan against receiving anything at all? Is there anything I can try out first as an experiment? Or perhaps some cheap solutions exist which are worth trying?

If any possibilities exist at all, then what type of aerial would be recommended, and where can I buy it?

Thanks for any info you can provide…and remember, if you can reply with simplified laymans terms, then that would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Hello fellower Lucaner, if that is the correct word :), To answer your question about Freeview, I don't think you'd get it, It is Transmitted from the North and Wales, one test I've heard about is: If your reception of UK channels is excellant, now it has to be very good, with a roof top ariel, it's possible.

If you want digital TV, even just for the Irish channels, you must get NTL or Sky (bloody disgrace), for analouge a good reception can be gotten from a roof top ariel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lled

Cheers RC for your reply!

I came across this site which makes interesting reading:- http://www.inhousetechnologies.com/ and also http://www.inhousetechnologies.com/how_it_works.htm

I don't see any prices mentioned, wonder how much that would all cost + installation?

This would give you RTE, NET2, TV3, TNG, BBC1,2,3,4, Euronews, CNN, Sky News and others, all for free. The missing stations compared with basic NTL package would be mainly (for me anyhow) ITV, C4, Sky One, MTV, and then some others.

Does anyone know if ITV/C4 will be joining the above free-to-air stations? (I think I read something about them being unhappy with their current Sky deal which runs out in October).

Would this solution mean that you could only view one station from the sat dish at a time? For instance, if I had 3 TV's, could I watch RTE, BBC1 and Sky News at the same time on the 3 TV's?

Has anyone ditched NTL in favour of the above? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

As far as I can tell from the wesite it offers FTA satellite, which can be gotten form any satellite dish and box, RTE and the rest of them (Irish) would be in analouge.

Advertisement