Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying DVDs over web

Options
  • 10-07-2000 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

What's the story with buying DVDs over the web - do we still need to pay custom duties? Loads of sites warn about that.

Can anyone recommend some good sites in US?

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I get mine from www.express.com

I havent been charged duty in all the order's I've made. I suppose these horror stories are down to a few scabby customs men smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok I also buy from DVDExpress mainly for batches of 3 or 4. For single orders I use DVDBoxoffice they're normally more expensive but they don't charge shipping. I also use Austrialian site every now and then as well just ordered a few dvd's from EZYDVD who come highly rated from uk.media.dvd.

As for customs I have over 80 DVD's now mainly bought over the internet and I've paid nothing in customs charges. I think they ignore anything under £100.00 or so.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Depends really. Once in a blue moon they may hold your package and ask you at which point just pay the duty and go on your merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

What region are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We're Region2 as is the rest of Europe. The US is region1 and Austrialia is Region 4.

By the way just for your information those DVD's I ordered in Austrialia shipped on Monday and arrived at my Door on Friday one of the disks I ordered, Metallica S&M (2DVD) is actually the same version on sale here in Ireland (its Region 2,3,4,5,6) and cost me $42.95(Aussie Dollars that is) which is IR£21.11 plus another 2 quid for shipping that makes £23.00 its selling for £39.99 in HMV. Its around STG£29.00 from UK online resellers as well. Might check out Austrialia for more DVD's and remember Austrialia also uses PAL format DVD's.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement