Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITV and CH4

Options
  • 28-09-2004 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am interested in getting another Sky box from Ebay with the Quad LNB and the FTV UK Card, But i just wanted to clear up that if i get these three items will be able to access ITV1 + 2, Ch4 + 5 (I Already have the Dish) and Is this the best way to get these channels or can it be done with an aerial? im currently living in Newbridge.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

ITV2 is a subscription channel. you won't get it with FTV card.

The other three will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Stephen,

Put simply, if the box you are buying on E-bay receives the channels FTA in the UK, then it will receive them FTA in Newbridge. Remember never to connect up the phone line to the new box, otherwise Sky could detect that you are outside UK. I am assuming here that the box in question is FTA, not subscribed to Sky and not under contract to Sky. (These would be questions I would be asking the seller before the auction closes).

A little more complex, now: AFAIK the FTA situation is by no means permanent - Sky could issue new cards next week to FTA customers and disconnect old cards - in that case you would be relying on your UK contact to forward you on the new card if indeed he was still at the same address where the FTA card was originally registered.

Furthermore, the FTA scheme may itself be phased out when Sky begin selling their 'Freeview Alternative' in the UK, a scheme that will most likely require a phone line (Sky will want phone revenues for services), and therefore be unavailable in ROI.

You can minimise some of the risk by making sure the card and box work now, but there is little you will be able to do about the scheme ending. In all scenarios the FTA box will pick up all FTV channels including BBCs.

Advertisement