Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 21's in a club

Options
  • 27-09-2004 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the appropriate place 4 this thread.

I am just wondering could someone post a link to the law that states that publicans must display a sign if they are only admitting people over the age of 21. I have tried oasis but can't find it anywhere.

A friend of mine got refused over the weekend. Admittedly he does look very young but I seem to recall not so long ago a law that was brought in which stated that pubs/clubs/bars etc can refuse people under 21 but must have a sign displaying same.

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

the over 21 law is a bit riduculous as its open to abuse by bouncers. eg if they fancy you and your 20 you stand a good chance of getting in. if they don't like one of you 20yr old friends they can just tell them no entry.
    i think clubs are supossed to have a sign if they are over 21s though, i dont know if its law

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

afaik, it was made that way, but now its changed
    they can make up the age they want it to be at the door,
    but the age must apply to all people on the property

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

The irony about the whole story is that I walked in about 10 mins earlier on my own....no questions asked.
    Then my mate went to go in & they said over 23's only so he rang me & I told him to try the back door, which he did & where he was this time told over 21's.
    So the club contradicted themselves & I am only 20yrs old so if the doormen were to have been properly enforcing the age restriction I should not have gotten in.
    Well anyone got any links because I will enjoy writing the impending letter.. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Your waisting your time writing a leter to them..

Lenny wrote:
    Your waisting your time writing a leter to them..
    Maybe so but it'l get it off my chest.....mite cc it to the Equality Authority of Ireland who may pay them a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Publicans have to allow anyone aged 18 or over into their premises (barred customers/insanely drunk/etc not withstanding) since they are a "public house" and the legal age is ..... lo and behold ... 18

Clubs can do what they want though - since they are by definition "invitation only".

Lemming wrote:
    Publicans have to allow anyone aged 18 or over into their premises (barred customers/insanely drunk/etc not withstanding) since they are a "public house" and the legal age is ..... lo and behold ... 18

Clubs can do what they want though - since they are by definition "invitation only".
    MMmmmm I will have to investigate so because it was a pub he was tryin to get into but the pub is under new management at the moment & they have tried to make it a bit more trendy by playing music etc....so maybe its now being classified as a club.

I do know that there is a clause in the Equal Status Act 2000 that states that if the person appears that they may cause a threat to the safety of the club/bar (or something to that effect), well then they can be refused.
    But my friend had no drink on him and was far from threatening or abusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

it could also be classed as a disco bar!!! imo leave it go nothing will come of it, its not as if the manager is going to come aorund and apologise to you and your friend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Throw flaming bags of dog**** at the nightclub - works for me heheheheh

::: ven0mous ::

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

sadly, woosaysdan is correct, wont make any difference at all.
    you wanna know how to tackle this problem ?? "spending power"
    if you go in a big group and one of you is refused entry, kick up a fuss(not too much mind) before ALL leaving, refuse to go into their premises unless you're ALL let in, 9 times out of 10 unless the bouncers have a really good reason for not letting one(or more) of your group in, they'll buckle(their boss will be mighty pissed at them for losing business for no good reason).
    if in the off chance, that doesnt work for you, plain and simply REFUSE to go there and give them your business, believe you me theres plenty of pubs/clubs bouncers out there who'll treat you with respect once you do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Under the Equal Status Act 2000 you can only be refused for being a threat/drunk etc. You can not be refused on age grounds once you are over 18. If you were refused for it being over 21's or 23's (which I find hard to believe a bouncer could be that stupid) you should make a claim to the Equality Authority www.equality.ie

Check this out for an example case:www.hrmaster.com/cgi-bin/client-zone/PPPclientzone/keycase26.htm

I don't think this is the case. I heard on the radio today that there is no definition of a nite club in Irish law. The licences are the same as a pubs, they seek an exemption to allow them to stay open later and hence become niteclubs.

It's up to your friend to be able to prove he is over 18. It's not unreasonable to refuse him if he is young looking and has no I.D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

I believe the original poster was looking for the intoxicating liquor act 2003, which amends the equal status act and allows a minimum age of greater then 18 to be set, provided there is a conspicuous sign and it is done in good faith. (section 25)

gabhain7 wrote:
    I believe the original poster was looking for the intoxicating liquor act 2003, which amends the equal status act and allows a minimum age of greater then 18 to be set, provided there is a conspicuous sign and it is done in good faith. (section 25)
    Perfect....that is exactly what I was looking for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 evilbubbs

fletch wrote:
    Perfect....that is exactly what I was looking for....

if you call the dept of justice, they will actually explain in great detail the law as it currently stands on age laws.

i called them as i was going to be promoting a few nights and wanted to know incase situations arose where by people could be refused for no reason essentially.

hell, they even called me back to inform me of this amendment. so that was good.

i have seen the signs up in pubs and clubs in the city, for example BUSKERS/BOOMERRANGS in templebar have a sign in the window.

it also should be noted there isnt any laws for "clubs" as they dont exist in irish law, the closest thing is a mention of a "danchall" event(ask your parents or grandparents for what that is). thought there are differnet licences example "theatre" or "pub" their variation in the law books themselves arent really many except i think on opening and closing times.

also F^CK IRELAND AND DUBLIN, just had to add that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

the equality authority or whatever they're called no longer deal with these cases bi d bi... i'm afraid you have to take a civil action of some sort as far as I'm aware... it's a damn shame really, but shure!

but there are always other ways and means to fukk the place over... good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

*bombscare* *bombscare* *bombscare*

although this prob doesnt work with the amount of people bouncers piss off per night im sure some of them woulda thought of it

The pub in question has just recently gone under new management & there has been a noteable decline in trade. I wrote them a friendly letter :D pointing this fact out to them and saying that me and my (many) friends will be taking our business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

fletch wrote:
    The pub in question has just recently gone under new management & there has been a noteable decline in trade. I wrote them a friendly letter :D pointing this fact out to them and saying that me and my (many) friends will be taking our business elsewhere.

good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 78,334 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The only real difference between a pub and a club is having to pay in, which means that to a certain extent a club can claim to be 'private' (there are different legal definitions of 'private'). Any pub can tart itself up and call itself a club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

By definition does a club not imply that you have to be a member to get in and IS not open to the general public?

Advertisement