Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to write on a sympathy card?

Options
  • 26-09-2004 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

What do you write?

kdjac
    Post edited by Gremlinertia on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I knew I should have fixed that step, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

depends on why you are being sympathetic....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sorry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Neighbour died of cancer , i usually avoid these things.

but will keep gandalks suggestion for later.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sorry for your troubles ? cliched I know...

" Thinking of you during this ahrd time " or something.... Ive never had to write one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

You could just sign it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Seriously it depends how well you knew them and know their family. If you do know them well then write something that would be relevant and personal to them. If not just sign it Deepest Sympathies "Your Name" (with your name being your name !!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

I never used to know what to say on cards and because of this often didn't send one. Then my Dad died and I realised it really doesn't matter what you write. Any cards I got, even if the person did little more than sign their name meant a lot to me.
    My friend's Mum died and I wrote something along the lines of I'm sorry for your loss, you're in my thoughts and if you want to talk for if there's anything I can do, just let me know. If it's someone less close than that, I'd just say something relatively bland like "thinking of you at this sad time". I know it sounds trite, but it probably will mean something to the person you give it to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Sending a card in the first place is very kind - if you can help them later on in the grieving process that is even better. I used to send mass cards in the past but now it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

send a mass card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Thinking of you and yours at this difficult time, it's a loss that will be felt by all that knew him/her, deepest sympathies...x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

The ones I always remember from when my bf died, were the simple ones that you knew were from the heart, one inparticular was as simple as "he was always there for the people he loved, and those he thought needed love, he will be missed" that one more than most meant so much. My advice, keep it simple and truthfull. :)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

pwned?

no seriously, just write "In Honour Of His Memory" or "For Remembrance"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why are you shilling mass cards on years-old threads???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,859 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The priests who once upon a time used to sign them for a small fee, are a bit hard up for whiskey money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm all nostalgic for the days when folks would sign off on their boards post now.

Regards,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"Sorry for your loss,

Move on."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ancient thread closed

Grem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement