Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total War

Options
  • 26-09-2004 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

First impression - more of the same, which is fine 'cause I liked Medieval TW. The graphics are noticeably better, but I don't think earth-shatteringly so. Thumbs up mostly but, I'll have to play it some more to see if it brings anything apart from improved graphics over previous incarnations.
    :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I still like the first one. Shogun. Still play it. The demo for RTW struggled a bit on my laptop, though you could knock the graphics back a bit and then it played fine. Seemed to play quicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

Shogun had the best strategy(like the map/factions)

Ave wrote:
    Shogun had the best strategy(like the map/factions)

Did that change in the later versions? I thought it was the same. I got the mongol expansion and never played it. Just like the original. Like the whole Japanese thing I guess. Once the Medieval comes out on Gold and is cheaper I might buy it. Until then I'll stick with the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

anyone know when rome total war will be in the shops in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

stagolee wrote:
    anyone know when rome total war will be in the shops in dublin?

1 october apparantly

• Advertisement

thanks L5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I just finished the 'quick campaign' mode in it there, a good 7hours in just the quick campaign (capture 15 regions, and wipe out a few specific nations, in my case the gauls). It seems to be very good, the siege's are very hard in it, both attack and defence. I like the new camaign main map in it though, you commanders move freely instead of moving 1 region at a time, and you can have an enemy army in your region without there being instant war, which makes the main map closer to Civilisation, but the usual rules apply for capturing the regions (hold the main town). I really like it so far, battles very similar to Medievil (have barely played shogun), except you get elephants now and again, and Nelli's are serious fun, a fun custom mission I done was just a wall of town militia vs 150 nelli's, ooooo watch how they fly..... :)

Definately worth a go anyway if you liked Medievil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

This is probably a stupid question but if it's not out till October how come you guys have already played it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Choose one of the following:
    1. We are journalists and review computer games.
    2. We live in America where the game is already released (as far as I know).
    3. We all work for the company who made the game, or the publishing company.
    4. We got a copy from a friend*

*the term friend an be loosely applied to any person nice enough to give me a copy or part of a copy of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Ardent wrote:
    This is probably a stupid question but if it's not out till October how come you guys have already played it? ;)

errrrr just say it fell outta the sky into my lap
    easiest way 2 keep the can of worms closed and the bannings away ;)

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote:

The demos been out for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

War Dogs are hilarious. Sending them around the back of an enemy unit and getting them to charge in usually results in great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I'm planning to buy it when it comes out, but if it runs like a dog, I probably won't bother for a while. Medieval runs perfectly in 1024x756 mode at the moment, and unless RTW does the same, I'll probably wait a few months.

Would appreciate your opinions based on my specs:
    756MB RAM
    2.0 Ghz Pentium.
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Atlantis 256MB

ive almost the same spec as yourself maybe a little worse
    amd 2500+
    512MB
    exact same gfx card as yourself
    and the demo plays perfect with all the settings up high , im guessing the full game should run pretty well too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Actually I'm quite looking forward to it, especially after the 90%+ reviews I've been seeing (and GOTY rumours).

Been playing it a bit more. Interesting... had a few battle numerically outnumbered (substantially). However, my enemies had at most one unit of cavalry. So with several units of cavalry their increased mobility allowed me to pick off units in pincer moves (cavalry from both sides) - quick way to rout a unit. Still though very tough game (on hard level).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Any impressions on how long a whole game takes. MTW has always struck me as very very long. Playing off and on it can be a month to get through a whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Sliabh - theres a new 'quick campaign' mode which you can finish is 7 or 8 hours no problem at all. Full campaigns on the other hand, your talking 40+ hours of gameplay.

Very satisfying, just wiped out the gauls, after they had ass-raped me at the start of the campaign. The Spanish to the south are my allies (for now), so my primary concern are the Brittons to the north and east.

On a side note I haven't had much luck with the incendiary pigs, the get lit before the enemy lines and don't continue to run at the enemy. They run around for a little while before dying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=mchp&page=title&r=PC&title=184221
    Rome: Total War now available - mine was posted this morning, so should get it in a week.

Shame they don't post early to get it to you on the release date (tomorrow for RTW). Ah well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

does it still have that annoying feature of when your making your way through the game and it gets to a certain year and it just ends! why can't i continue playing on untill there is a clear winner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Incidentally, Game want 54.99 for this whereas it's 49.99 in HMV and you can get another fiver off with that game card thing they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Got mine for 39.99 in Game on Henry street.

Advertisement