Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars : Battlefront

Options
  • 25-09-2004 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Just started playing Battlefront this morning in single player mode and it's just the best game I've played on the Xbox yet. The controls are easy to pickup and the graffix, detail and sound are out of this world.

Can't wait to play it on Xbox Live later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Im waiting for a pc demo before ordering from play.com i hear its quite hard to fly the tie fighters and other aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭shinzon

bizmark wrote:
    Im waiting for a pc demo before ordering from play.com i hear its quite hard to fly the tie fighters and other aircraft

I dunno why but every other version came out yesterday except the PC version, so i plumped for the x-box version instead, i have to say its the best looking game on the x-box ive ever seen, sumptious graphics and you know its gonna be a good game when pandemics involved

Highly recommended so much so that im gonna get the pc version when it comes out, the vehicles are about as difficult to fly as the ones in galactic conquest

Cheers

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

bizmark wrote:

It if it's hard as in Battlefield1942-hard (ie tough but incredibly effective and fun once you've mastered it) then I'm there baby yeah!

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

did ye pick it up in town or did u order it online, went into game today and said it wasnt available till oct (pfft yah rite) even though their site says it is available right now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I heard that it had alright gfx but that it wasn't that great to play.

is there a PC demo of it out yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Nope the offical site says the demo is comeing soon so that can be at any time in the next month i suppose and your right it doesnt look that good handy capped by being a ps2/xbox/pc game i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Yeah its not ****e, but compared to to other pc squad based shooters it comes up pretty poorly. Cant hold a candle to BFV, 1942 etc.
    The first person mode is terrible. The weapon models look like they came straight out of daikatana. Its better to play in 3rd person, at least that way you can see you're a cool stormtrooper lol.
    It seriously needs some punkbuster support tho, every server ive played on so far has been riddled with tk'ing n00bs. The vehicles are good. Not great tho. The speederbike sucks an incredible amount of ass. If you accellerate for longer than 5 seconds the screen goes all blurry, you cant see sh!t, and you crash.
    At-st's are fun, just stomping around blowing stuff up, ditto for the at-at's.
    All in all its not a bad game, but the battlefield series shouldnt be worrying unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i got it on the ps2 today and it's fantastic. all-out action. the controls take a bit of getting used to (the first-person mode is pretty bad)... but once you get to grips with it it's so much fun.

all i need now is broadband + ps2 online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

I got alot of practice in on the single player mode before i went onto XboxLive and this helped alot. Unfortunatly alot of people just went straight online and messed all the battles up with their stupid f*cking around, especailly the Americans.

Verdammt wrote:
    I got alot of practice in on the single player mode before i went onto XboxLive and this helped alot. Unfortunatly alot of people just went straight online and messed all the battles up with their stupid f*cking around, especailly the Americans.

Yeah its like that on the pc too, loads to tk'ing n00bs going like 'A HA HA I DO A TEAMKILL!!!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Verdammt wrote:
    Just started playing Battlefront this morning in single player mode and it's just the best game I've played on the Xbox yet. .

I heard that the AI is frily lame on the PC version - is it any good on X-box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Borzoi wrote:
    I heard that the AI is frily lame on the PC version - is it any good on X-box?

If you put the AI level on hard they put up a decent enough fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Verdammt wrote:
    If you put the AI level on hard they put up a decent enough fight.

Its not great, but IMO its better than BF1942 or BFVs AI level.

Matt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Matt Simis wrote:
    Its not great, but IMO its better than BF1942 or BFVs AI level.

Nah, BFV AI is better (although not when the bots get in to a vehicle then BFV is ****), I was standing in front of storm troopers and they wern't going for me or chasing bots shooting them and they don't seem to notice/care. Only time I got killed was when a big vehicle shot me.

I havent played it in single player so i wouldnt know. Before i got BB i used to think the bots in BF were actually good, but once you play against humans you realise theres just no fun to be had shooting bots cause theyre so easily killed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

its average
    eye candy means nothing if the game plays like crap

and it plays like crap if u ask me
    VERY repetitive if u ask me
    i liked 1942 but this is just a better lookin clone with less playability imho

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

So what servers are people using? The in-game browser is woeful and AllSeeingEye doesn't seem to support it yet.

Theres not enough variey between classes if you ask me. It just your basic soldier/sniper/bazooka pretty much.
    Ive just been using the in game browser, but it sucks. It uses a graphic to illustrate ping, i joined a server that, according to the graphic was the lowest availabe, the f*cking ping was 150!!!

i think i shall definetly be waiting for the PC demo. Nothing i have heard about it is good and hearing that the FPS view is ****e puts a major dampener on it. Its an FPS game. I never play 3rd person in BF:V or BF1942.

satchmo wrote:
    So what servers are people using? The in-game browser is woeful and AllSeeingEye doesn't seem to support it yet.
    ASE now supports it. Yur filters should auto-update or just go File-> Update filters

• Advertisement

suppafly wrote:
    i think i shall definetly be waiting for the PC demo. Nothing i have heard about it is good and hearing that the FPS view is ****e puts a major dampener on it. Its an FPS game. I never play 3rd person in BF:V or BF1942.
    I started playing it a bit more today and have to say its getting a bit better. Wait for the demo if youre unsire but its not that bad at all.
    Not a patch on BFV but then again what is? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Looks like all the console gamers think it's great whereas all the hardcore battle-game players (Tribes, Battlefield, Planetside etc) think it's so-so. They probably know better. :)

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

visually great and its star wars, however thats where the good stuff ends.

the vehicles are insanely badly coded and you cant even invert in fighters
    the maps are far too small with the exception of hoth and bespin platforms
    droidekkas are terrible to control.

its a bit of a laugh multiplayer but you cant change tickets, so the games are over in 5 minutes if you have 1 decent player on your team who knows what to do (ie take down the walkers on hoth, or the walkers on rhen var etc)

it would have been better if galactic conquest mode was in multiplayer.

teeth you will ^NOT^ enjoy flying in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've only played the single player so far, it's quite good. The first two single player modes were straight forward, but what is the story with Galactic Conquest? I have to press accept about 10 times before anything happens!

The graphics are very good but not outstanding. The sound effects are generally excellent, but they should have kept the original movie sound effects for all of the weapons and vehicles. The music is straight from the films, no complaints but; it would have been nice to have an original John Williames score. The AI is average at best; is it just me or is AI the slowest progressing component in modern video games? Some of the vehicles, especially the air units, are no fun at all.

Overall I’d give the single player of Battlefront 80%

Advertisement