Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help for a student...

Options
  • 24-09-2004 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

ok, am doing a course where i will have to write 2 short film scripts and the treatment and start of a feature length script...

anywhay the problem is, i'm atricioulsy bad at making up stories...is there any methods that can help you devlop ideas or should i just get a brain replacement?!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

What course is it? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.

My only advice is to think simple. You may not have a mind for making up great stories that are really complex and deep, but that doesn't matter, some of the best films, books and shows are more about character relationships and dialogue than the story as a whole. Take Tarrintino for example... Resivour Dogs has a good story, but its not brilliant. What makes it great are the scenes of interaction between the cast.

So just think small, and basic. If you start from there you might slowly develop the idea into something much bigger than you realised you could think up!

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

hi, thanks for the few tips! anything can help me improve at this stage.

I'm doing audio visual communications in IT Tallaght. its a pretty multi disciplary course...audio, tv & video, photography, multimedia-(web & graphic design), media studies, av technology, cultural studies and communications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Shakespeare never made up a story in his life, all his scripts were rewrites of standards. Find yourself a story you like and redo it. Take a look at the Scéalta Fiannaíochta and you should find a bunch of good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Just remember that conflict is what keeps it interesting.

You could try free writing, if you have a basic idea in your head at any point try writing it down and just keep writing, anything you can think of. It's an acquired skill, letting your mind go and not actively thinking. Then go back and read through it, cross things out that you don't like etc.

Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

thanks all, i may just try that writing stuff down and cross out things i don't like. sounds like an interesting way to create ideas

• Advertisement
Advertisement