Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz Fusion

Options
  • 23-09-2004 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, it's my favourite form of jazz. I love the likes of Weather Report, Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Ohm. Anyone have any other recommendations in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

Probably my favourite type too.
    Others I listen to would be Shakti with John McLuaghlin, Billy Cobham, Al DiMeola, John Scofield, Stanley Clarke.

I've been meaning to go see Spectrum who play in JJ's on a monday night. Supposed to be a great fusion band, you heard them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Heard of them. It's not like any of my mates exactly leap with joy when going to a jazz gig is suggested. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

2 words...

Tribal Tech ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm on it :D

Been meaning to get some of them for a long time. Can't see how I overlooked them :confused:

Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

No problem,

I recommend the album "Primal Tracks", some of the best Fusion I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

Doctor J wrote:
    Personally, it's my favourite form of jazz. I love the likes of Weather Report, Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Ohm. Anyone have any other recommendations in this area?
    Greg Howe - Extraction. It also features Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers.
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=greg+howe&page=search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Doc, you HAVE to check out Terje Rypdal.
    He's a Norwegian guitarist who's been with the ECM label for the past two decades. Dunno if you're familiar with ECM, a Munich based label for masters of improvised music. I love their whole concept, their direction. They refuse to label themselves this jazz or that jazz - hell, i dont even want to call it that. It's just free improvisation and it hurts.
    You're gonna come up with some familiar names on ECM like Jan Garbarek, Pat Metheny etc...
    Check it out and weep.

Oh, and as far as i know Terje Rypdal was the first guitarist ever to have CONDUCTED an orchestra with a Strat. (He's my man so he plays Strats :D ).

I especially recommend the album "If Mountains Could Sing" - the name says it all man...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Check this out, Trad/Jazz Fusion. It's music by Ronan Guilfoyle some great samples of the album here, definitley worth a listen. http://www.ronanguilfoyle.com/store/cds/exit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Lactating Shark

fuse wrote:

I've been meaning to go see Spectrum who play in JJ's on a monday night. Supposed to be a great fusion band, you heard them?

I've seen them, about a year ago. Enjoyed it a lot, keep meaning to go see them again. Jimmy Smith is a fantastic guitarist in the Larry Carlton mode. Some of the material veers into fuzak territorry slightly, but theres enough dirty grooves to keep you interested.

Think I'll go see them next monday actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 babdub

Sweet! I'm also a big fan of jazz-fusion! A couple of other nice artists:

- Brecker Borthers (especially from the 70's)
    - Los Lobotomys (the first *and only* record)
    - Sophie Hellborg
    - Jean Luc Ponty (again check out the records from the 70's)
    - Herbie Hancock (of course)
    - Passport (some good stuff in their early days)

Sounds like this thread is going to be a useful resource!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement