Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the Hard Drive in sky+ box

Options
  • 23-09-2004 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Has anybody changed the Hard Drive in a sky+ box will changing to a higher capacity work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mr T

Excellent, How much recording time would I get from a 250GB drive

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Off the top of my head, I think it's around 130 hours for a 250Gb drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

What about the 17 min bug and all that? Has it been fixed with the recent software updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I re-upgraded to a 120 Gb disc a while ago (took it out before because of 17 min bug). 17 min bug is now fixed for version 2 boxes but apparently not for version 1 boxes - I'm not sure if any of these were ever sold in Ireland anyway. According to the Sky+ forum on digitalspy.co.uk there seems to be a lot more failed and clashed recordings since the last software update (I've certainly been getting a lot more) in both original and upgraded boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I think the new software update has fixed the 17 minute bug

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi the new software ruined my Sky+ box and I had to get it replaced. I know some people have told me it had nothing to do with the software. However a friend who works as a sat dealer said he was 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Grayarea

I have a V2 box with 120Gb drive in it. Since the last update I have not had any 17min bug problems, and the sky+ box has been rebooted at least 10 times.

So it appears to have been fixed for me at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

whats the 17 min bug??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

In Sky+ boxes that had larger disc's put in by the owner recordings would occasionally stop playing after 17 minutes thus making it useless, or something like that. I have not actually seen it because it put me off getting the larger drive in the first place. It does seem from digital spy that it has now being fixed so I am thinking about the larger drive again. However if I do and it ruins the box my guarantee will be null and void and I'd be faced with buying a new box altogether so I am a bit nervous about it. Other people's experience would be interesting to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

It's very easy to change the hard disc just follow the guide here http://www.hummer.co.uk/disc-change-v2.htm. I bought the screwdriver in Maplin along with a 120Gb IBM deskstar disc. Just be very careful with the IDE cable - it's a bit fragile. If you have any experience with upgrading PC hardware upgrades it should be a doddle. Lots more info here http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=156344 :D

Advertisement