Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Richer, For Poorer: Same-Sex Couples and the Freedom to Marry as a Civil Right

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I remember TV3 had one of those "Txt In" polls awhile back. "Should same sex marriages be allowed?".

I though the results may be at the least 90% yes. In the end it was 45% yes and 55% no. I walked around ranting about the ignorence of people for days. I'm not gay, but it angered me greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Actually that's not a bad percentage at all. It would be easy enough to bring about change with those figures.

I think a large part of the blame is because of the general apathy in the Irish Gay Community who are not organising themselves to bring about the change. Maybe this is in part due to the fact that the gay community is still relatively new and so people are not planning for the future just yet and are enjoying the newly acquired freedoms.

I find it sad that the ICCL who were organising a meeting in Cork (after the one they had in Dublin) canceled it due to lack of interest. It's pretty damning too that it is a group from outside the gay community that is pushing to get us more rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes but in fairness, the ICCL convenor on partnership rights has years of experience in LGBT campaigns and has worked in many areas including the equality authority and GCN

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Yes but in fairness, the ICCL convenor on partnership rights has years of experience in LGBT campaigns and has worked in many areas including the equality authority and GCN

Granted, but where's the other two LGBT groups these days ? And again I ask where are the gay community in backing this ? Too busy watching Will and fcking Grace I wager.

Mybe it's good in some ways in that Marie Mulholland will get perspectives from the ICCL which are outside of but supportive to the community,

you're right though GLEN and NLGF are so uncommunicative

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Mybe it's good in some ways in that Marie Mulholland will get perspectives from the ICCL which are outside of but supportive to the community,

you're right though GLEN and NLGF are so uncommunicative

Really really good article by the way

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

damien.m wrote:
    I find it sad that the ICCL who were organising a meeting in Cork (after the one they had in Dublin) canceled it due to lack of interest. It's pretty damning too that it is a group from outside the gay community that is pushing to get us more rights.
    Perhaps the meeting wasn't well-enough publicized in the south? I did attend the meeting in Dublin, and it was interesting and useful. The ICCL folks seem quite committed to getting something done. Everyone was optimistic… the only real downer was coming up to the one great barrier to change: it's going to require Government to actually do something.

Advertisement