Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Man Utd Live 2.45 Sat RTE2

Options
  • 22-09-2004 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Who needs Setanta! Potentially probably the second best Premiership game of the season so far :D and its live on your normal aerial folks.

Tune in and don't miss United continue their return to normal service....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Come on you spurrrs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

EH "2nd best game of the season so far" and one of them is SPURS?
    Get a life.
    The only reason you are high in the Premiership is because the rest of the teams are so poor this season.
    Name me 3 world class players on the Spurs side?
    Lets look at the league after Arsenal and Chelsea
    3rd EVERTON
    4th BOLTON
    5th SPURS
    6th MIDDLESBROUGH
    I rest my case.
    Wait till the end of the season and then see where Spurs are.
    Lucky to finish mid table (again).

There's only 1 team in the Premiership this year (again)
    and that ain't SPURS!

okidoki987
    Arsenal supporter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

FFS! Don't tell me all RTÉ plan on showing is Man U matches, at least Setanta have offered a bit of a mixture so far. This is the third consecutive Man U match in about 2 weeks (2 premiership & 1 Champs League) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭osullima

celticfc wrote:
    FFS! Don't tell me all RTÉ plan on showing is Man U matches, at least Setanta have offered a bit of a mixture so far. This is the third consecutive Man U match in about 2 weeks (2 premiership & 1 Champs League) :(

Agree 100%. There are more teams than Man U in the Premiership. Even TV3 show a better selection than RTE and that is saying something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm sure that the matches they can show are based on the package of games that are available to them and not on them chosing to show United. There should be a full listing of the games available in this package somewhere.

I'm sure they'd be jumping at Liverpool or Arsenal games if they were available. Even TV3 will jump at the United game furst if it's available during their scheduling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Apparantly RTE have stated that they are showing matches depending on league positions and importance. But that beggers the question "important to whom?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I presume there is some form of arrangement where they can pick a specific 3pm kickoff a week or two in advance and cover that? Also I assume that RTÉ having a match every two weeks means that Setanta have the matches during the intervening weeks?

In fairness to RTÉ, showing ManU, Liverpool or Arsenal almost every week probably makes an awful lot of sense to them. These three teams probably have more Irish fans each than all of the other Premiership teams combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Just a quick point on Irish TV channels' obsession with ManU. Next Tuesday TV3 are showing ManU live against Fenerbahce in the Champions League. So are ITV1. The Liverpool match away to Olympiakos is only live on ITV2 — not on Sky either. I can't understand it because I would say that most ManU viewers who have ITV1 will opt for their coverage ahead of TV3's. At least if they showed Liverpool they would have an exclusive broadcast and I'm pretty sure higher viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ros Man

Is there not a link between ITV1 and TV3 :(
    Maybe we need a TV32 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

:p they are not showing a Man U match, they are showing The pride of London, come on you Spurs!

Those Glory Glory Days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

Anyone have have an e-mail address for complaints to RTE?

I'm sick to the gills of RTE's Man U bias. Not just for the live games, it's bloody everywhere at Montrose. If a Utd youth player broke his toenail, it would be on Aertel. I know the argument about Utd delivering the audience figures which advertisers demand, but RTE are a public service broadcaster.
    It's true what Paddy Barclay (then of The Guardian) said on Sky a few years ago: "I don't know why they bother with MUTV when RTE does the job for them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

More people watch man utd than anyone else more fans etc means more people watching ads.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

emertoff wrote:
    I know the argument about Utd delivering the audience figures which advertisers demand, but RTE are a public service broadcaster.

Now that is an excellent point.... is the English Premiership a public service broadcast for Irish TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

DMC wrote:
    Now that is an excellent point.... is the English Premiership a public service broadcast for Irish TV?

LOL yes and as i watch Live Eircom league Action every week ,Oh i remember RTE are irish and a public service. oh sorry real world they spend millions on **** highlights of PL and live games and show their req 6 games a season of EL.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

RTÉ actually don't have to show any Eircom League matches. TV3 have a contract to show 5/6 per season, but, as pointed out to me before, its not exclusive, so RTÉ are free to show a game if they want to, as they did last Friday, showing Bohs and Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

KdjaC wrote:
    More people watch man utd than anyone else more fans etc means more people watching ads.

That argument doesn't stand up with TV3 showing the same match as ITV1 next Tuesday evening. Their viewing figures for that will be lower than if they were the only channel to show Liverpool live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yer wan just said it will be a classic so i must watch it now but what bugged me about RTÉ's last game was that they kept giving the scores of other games. STOP IT RTÉ, STOP IT :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have been following 3pm soccer on different foreign channels for about 3 years now and what I have noticed is that Man U's games which get played at 3pm on saturdays will 95% of the time be televised as the main game. The reason behind this is that viewing figures show that they are the most watched side in these lands. Even when Man U are on $ky $ports they always generate the highest viewinf figures. Each month "What Satellite" publish the viewing figures for the most watched programs on tv in the uk and time and time again Man U game command the higest figures.

As regards RTE showing Man U all of the time. One can understand why they do. TV3 tend to do the same when they can. This deal they signed for 3pm Sat football means that they will show what ever is the main game on the day n question.

Take a look at today's fixtures for example:

Spurs V Man U

Star Sports Asia
    Canal + Sport (Poland)
    Canal+ Nor/Swe/Den/Fin
    Sky Sport 1 (Italia)
    Supersport 2
    C+ Deporte 3
    Multivision 8
    NTV Turkey
    Sport TV
    ART Sports 2
    Network 2

Man City V Arsenal

ESPN
    TPS Star
    Canal+ Sport
    Supersport 3SA
    Sport 1 (Hungary)
    ART Sport 1
    C+ Deporte 1
    Sky Sport 3 (Italia) (Delay 18:15)
    NTV Turkey (Delay 20:30)

Norwich V Liverpool

C+ Deporte 2
    Canal+ Sport (Delay 19:10)
    ART Sports 2 (Delay 20:00)
    Multivision 8 (Delay 21:45)

Now look at the amount of broadcasters that took the Spurs v Man U game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

fair point but what is billed as the best game and what eventually turns out to be the best game are a lot of times different so shame on you RTÉ. give other teams a go

oh and as before updates of other games as the man u v spurs game was on :mad: :mad: :mad:

Advertisement