Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for NI viewers of Scottish TV

Options
  • 21-09-2004 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

In parts of NI (and even the Innishowen peninsula) a lot of people have aerials pointed at Scotland which enables them to recieve STV and/or Border TV. Along parts of the Antrim and Down coast Border TV reception is far better than UTV !

However OFCOM have announced Border will be the first region to cease Analouge transmissions and this could be as early as 2007

SCOTTISH BORDERS PREPARE FOR ANALOGUE SWITCH-OFF
    Hundreds of thousands of residents of the Scottish
    borders are to lose their normal TV service after
    media watchdog Ofcom earmarked the region as the first
    in Britain to have its analogue signal switched off
    completely. It means that the regular over-the-air
    analogue services will be phased out and only those
    who are connected to digital services on satellite,
    cable or the terrestrial digital service, Freeview
    will be able to watch TV. The area - which covers the
    western area of the British Isles from the north of
    the Lake District in England to southern Scotland and
    also includes the Isle of Man - has a population of
    just 450,000 and includes just one major city,
    Carlisle. Several areas had previously been mooted as
    potential test beds for the switchover, including the
    Channel Islands and south London. The border region
    has almost certainly been chosen as the first to be
    pencilled in for switchover because of its small
    population and the fact that it is covered by distinct
    transmitters that don't "bleed" into other regions. A
    pilot project in Wales will see the residents of two
    Carmarthenshire villages, Ferryside and Llansteffan,
    become the first in Britain to have analogue
    terrestrial transmissions switched off and replaced by
    digital signals in Spring next year. The trial numbers
    only several hundred houses and all those not
    converted to digital sets will receive a Freeview
    set-top box free of charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hmmm, most of North Down and Armagh would be pointing towards Scottish TV transmitters, I really havent heard too much of folk further down the Ards peninsula and the Down coast getting Border... Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

DMC wrote:
    I really havent heard too much of folk further down the Ards peninsula and the Down coast getting Border... Anyone?
    I think around Bangor it's usually successful, as I've heard stories of a few years ago of Glasgow Rangers supporters based in Belfast travelling to pubs in the town to view the teams exploits in the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marksi

I think around Bangor it's usually successful, as I've heard stories of a few years ago of Glasgow Rangers supporters based in Belfast travelling to pubs in the town to view the teams exploits in the Champions League.

North Down/County Down coast are much more likely to receive Border (from Cambret Hill) than Scottish.

This is a redundant argument though as we can happily receive it perfectly on satellite if need be. As to there being places with better reception of Border than UTV, as far as I am aware hasn't been the case for quite a number of years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In Parts of Whiteabbey Cambert Hill (Border TV) and Claremont Carn (RTE) are still stronger than UTV

While most of Whiteabbey can get a signal from the Carnmoney Hill relay theres a few places along the seafront where even that is dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

North Down/County Down coast are much more likely to receive Border (from Cambret Hill) than Scottish.
    Aye, but IIRC Border carried the games involving the Scottish teams.
    In Parts of Whiteabbey Cambert Hill (Border TV) and Claremont Carn (RTE) are still stronger than UTV
    In my time in Whiteabbey I could never get Cambert Hill, though Clermont did blast in quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Cambret is well received along most of the Ards peninsula quite a lot of Group B's went up for the Footie when BBC1 Scotland went FTA on Sat and couldn't show it. If the existing relays started to carry DTT at high power then the chances are the signals would still be watchable on the East Coast.

Advertisement