Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnród Éireann's ability to run the railways

Options
  • 21-09-2004 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Given the extra resources that have been poured into IE during recent years, what has the company done to make life better for the average user? Very little, I would contend.

In my view IE is dogged by poor management and a staff who place customers at the bottom of the list of priorities. Unions seem to be able to hold management to ransom over the most minor of changes to work practices. Staff are grumpy to customers, never keep people informed about delays on the line and work under a general culture of ''sure we'll get there sometime'' insread of ON TIME. I ask, in 2004, is this culture acceptable, or should IE be disbanded and an entirely new management team from Europe drafted in to run the railways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Leadership (as in the ability to inspire people to do their best) from a dynamic and interested Minister might help. Disbanding and appointing a new team isn't in itself a solution. What is required is vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I think a lot of the IR problems in the CIE companies can't be blamed on unions or management, it's both. From what I have seen the two are equally to blame for their confrontational attitude and poor regard for their customers that has led to the current culture developing.

Part of the problem is that both sides feel they can appeal to the minister to get involved and/or take sides when they feel they are not getting their way. So while a good minister is important he/she has to be very careful in how they work with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Another important point to remember is that the "huge investment" that's going into the railways now (huge by historical standard, minisucle compared to what's spent on roads) has until recently been used to try and bring the network back into a safe state. There have been vast improvements, just not in places that you might ordinarily look.

Customer service is still something that needs sorting ou thought, I'll grant you that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Starting with the tea trolley. Though I bought a nice thermos flask.

Advertisement