Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in search of the world's greatest drinking game

Options
  • 20-09-2004 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Now let's define our terms here first: we aren't talking about sitting around in a little circle, watering down your parents vodka, listening furtively for cars in the driveway and dealing cards to each other, trying to look hard swigging from a bottle all the time thinking "ew, this tastes like paint remover".

I'm talking about 24-hour (or longer) themed Lost Days. [For the academics amoung us: you qualify as having had a Lost Day if you a)remember less than 50% of it and b) you were in the company of other people. If your memory has suffered irrepairable damage but you suspect you may have spent the day alone in a dark room with a TV and a bottle, you have been on a Bender. And more power to you.]

So I use the word drinking game rather loosely. Anyhow, a couple of my favourites include:

-The Running of The Taps
    For this one, a large crowd of you need to descend upon the pub with the longest available bar. You begin at the furthest left tap, and order a pint of whatever it contains. Consume. Next, move one tap right and have a pint of whatever's in there. Repeat. First person to the furthest right tap wins. If you pick a good bar, it's unlikely that anyone will make it to the end, but like all the best sports, it's the taking part that counts.

-The A-Z
    Get your hands on a bartender's cocktail book of some description. Plant yourself in a convienient house of ill repute and order something beginning with "a". Drink it. Next up, you want something beginning with "b". Proceed in this manner through the entire alphabet. It may seem daunting, but you've got all day.

-The Pied Piper
    Pick a pub, completely at random. Install yourself at a bar stool shortly after opening time. Next, get the phone out and ring everybody you know. When the first drinking buddies start flowing in, start ringing everybody they know. The idea is to collect as many bodies as is humanly possible in one pub and drink until you aren't quite sure how many there are.

(I'm pretty sure I pinched these off an old article on moderndrunkardmagazine.com, well worth a read)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Shut the **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Ah calm down boston. Just because you're not into the whole drunk scene doesn't mean you have to antagonise the chap. Simply put, drinking games can be an amazing amount of fun for the responsible of those who are willing to play..

I like the Pied-Piper the most because it's possibly the most original and allows for other drinking cames to be integrated..

As far as adding new drinking games to the list, this would probably have to be one of my favourites:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=105871
    Actually that's just a quality price for the glasses alone!
    I think I'll get it, fancy a game net bastard?

The streotype of drunken idiot student who spends his grand on boozing is one that pisses me of no end. I've no problem with drinking games, but what exactly has this to do with TCD.

I believe the majority of students drink alcohol, enjoy drinking alcohol, and also enjoy drinking games. And this is a discussion forum for students from Trinity, therefore what's the problem?

Personally I like ride the bad boy

To be explained.

Boston wrote:
    The streotype of drunken idiot student who spends his grand on boozing is one that pisses me of no end.
    Why? Do people apply the stereotype (wrongly) to you? Tbh I don't see much of that anymore. Anyway I work hard for my booze money (hence I don't spend it lightly) and you're only young once :)
    Point taken about the threads relavency. But in fairness, a lot of talk of drinking has gone on in this board.. Also I get the impression he's leading to (or searching for) something that could turn out to be a college related activity in the non academic sense..
    Personally I like ride the bad boy

To be explained.
    Oh please do. By the way that title better be idiomatic! ;)

• Advertisement

Fair enough

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Drinking Chess.....

best game ever, I've yet to finish a full game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Drinking Twister. gets oh so very VERY funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Net Bastard

Boston wrote:
    Shut the **** up.

Now that was just plain rude.

If you wanna get more college-specific, I've been working on a Pav drinking game. Still in it's infancy, additions welcome:

Take a drink when an arts student doesn't say "thanks" for their change. Counts for double if they don't even look at the barman.

Take a drink whenever someone drops a glass. Continue drinking until everyone stops yelling "yeow!".

Take a drink when someone asks if that stool at your table is free. have n+1 drinks every time it's the same person.

Drink when you spot someone who doesn't know where the hell they are (they'll be conspiuous by the fact they haven't got bavaria or druids/stoney in front of them). Counts double if they're clumsily trying to fit in by drinking a can of something silly, like budweiser.

(To anyone who isn't familiar enough with the pav to get any of this: there's more to college than the library.)

Now that was just plain rude.

Sorry net bastard if that is your real name

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Oh please do. By the way that title better be idiomatic! ;)

Since I'm waiting for my bus...

Ride the Bad Boy
    (tm) is a card game. A pyramid of 15 cards is put face down on the table, with 5 on the bottom, 4 on the 2nd level, 3 on third etc (you get the picture). For each level, a number of drinks is assigned, therefore for the bottom level, its one drink.

The rest of the cards are divided among how many players are playing. The aim of the game is to put down all your cards and have the least at the end of that game, otherwise you'll have to Ride The Bad Boy.

Someone starts the game by flipping over one of the bottom cards. If you happen to have one, two or three of that card, you have 1, 2, or 3 opportunities to make someone else drink a shot. It increases as you go up the pyramid. The beauty of this game is in the revenge.

Once the entire pyramid is finished, the person with the most amount of cards left plays Ride The Bad Boy. This means collecting up all the leftover cards, and making another pyramid. He/she must go from the bottom of the pyramid to the top of the pyramid without touching a jack, queen, king or ace. If he/she gets one of them on the second level, he/she drinks two, etc, kinda along the same rules. Once he/she unearths a jack/queen etc, new cards are placed face down on top of these ones and he/she attempts to Ride The Bad Boy again.

Great fun if you fix the cards. I had my mate Riding the Bad Boy for about 25 minutes before :D

Oh, and Extreme Ride The Bad Boy involves an inverted pyramid, with 5 cards at the top of it each worth 5 shots, as opposed to one card worth 5.

If I've lost you or it sounds crap, well you suck. Great fun to get locked.

And no, i've no idea why it's called Ride The Bad Boy...

Boston wrote:
    Sorry net bastard if that is your real name

swearing can be funny, randomly insulting people is always just rude. apology accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

swearing can be funny, randomly insulting people is always just rude. apology accepted.

Don't accept this plainly obvious insult agaist your character this, anally retentive fiend who can't have fun , Go on home and get your mammy to knit you a nice pair of woolen gloves,
    I mean that in the nicest possible way you must admit.

Quiet you, he apologised didn't he? And also said he had "no problems with drinking games". Man you really do like to stir it up any chance you get, whether the opportunity has passed or not... :p

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Since I'm waiting for my bus...

Ride the Bad Boy
    (tm) is a card game...

I like it. Though there's some kind of eerie undertone running through this...sounds like a name that may have evolved from something evil and seedy.

I'm just fine with seedy, but I draw the line at evil.

Apex yet again we need to have a dissucion about scarcasm i direct your attention to the bold letters of BASTARD in the above posts,this is scarcasm and the apologie was not genuine .

celingfan wrote:
    Apex yet again we need to have a dissucion about scarcasm i direct your attention to the bold letters of BASTARD in the above posts,this is scarcasm and the apologie was not genuine .

And you and me need to have a discussion about subtlety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Anyone played Ring of Fire before? Great game!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the hour of power is another good one

the hour of power is another good one

Yes i agree we did that outside the pav on results day ohhh we got piddily eyed .I got to 63 min before i called it a day
    A few weeks later i got to the centenary 100min that is all i remember of that day fantastic

• Advertisement

Funky wrote:
    Anyone played Ring of Fire before? Great game!

How's that work?

Hour of power is good, whats ring of fire funky?

You get a pack of cards and spread em out in a big ring, everyone takes there turn to pick a card and theres a rule for every card.... I've nothing better to do while recovering this morning so I'll post em in a few minutes :)

edit: (infact i think i have them in a notepad file 'somewhere' here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

ive seen the results (that gross picture) of hour of power.... dont think ill be rushing into it lol, but im still curious as to how it works. ive never heard of any of these games before :eek: lol

for those that don't know a 'finger' is a measurement of how far down your glass you have to drink when you put that many fingers to the side of it...

Ace - Rule card, you can make up a rule for anyone like they have to do something every time they drink or sit on their hands for the night etc... if they fail to they have to drink 4 fingers of their beer every time they stop.

Two - Waterfall card, whoever picks it up starts drinking and stops wheneverhe likes, the person on his left can only stop once he stops and this goes round etc till everyone stops or one person can't go on, person who loses drinks 4 fingers.

3 - Drink 3 fingers of your beer

4 - Nominate someone to drink 4 fingers or 2 people for 2

5 - Thumb card, you have to put your thumb on the edge of the table and the last person to do it drinks 4 fingers

6 - Category Card, name a category... like say lagers and it goes around everyone naming a lager until someone can't... loser drinks 4 fingers ( whoever gets the card is the judge )

7 - Sometimes category, if you're playing outside or at a house party its usually the laugh card, everyone goes outside fills their mouth with beer and the first one to spill / laugh has to take 4 fingers

8 - nose card, like the thumb card but put your finger on your nose

9 - GIMP CARD, possibly the best card ever, every time you get nominated to drink you can force your gimp to drink instead, creates great grudges in the game :P

10 - hand card, like thumb/nose except you put your hand into the middle of the table

Jack - Toilet card, you can only leave the table for non-vomit reasons with this, if you don't need to go usually its a good trade for a can!

Queen - Question card, you can use this any time, you have to show at least a corner of the card to someone then ask them a question... if they answer they have to drink 4 fingers, if they answer with a question YOU have to drink it

King - the Game ender, usually theres a glass filled with a mixture of beer spirits cider anything you have and once the 4th king gets picked the game is over and the picker has to drink the concoction!

It sounds pretty complicated at the beginning but once everyone knows the rules i guarantee its the best game EVUR

Chick wrote:
    ive seen the results (that gross picture) of hour of power.... dont think ill be rushing into it lol, but im still curious as to how it works.l

How we played it on the last day of exams was you drink a shot of beer every minute for an hour. It's ridiculously efficient.. Tho we used egg-cups from dunnes.
    Also the "results" were only caused by drunkendubliner after 40 minutes or so.. I'm pretty sure he hadn't eaten, a must if you wish to survive the game..

Thanks Apex, wow that must be pretty hard -a shot an minute... so how many pints would be equivalent to 40mins of it? just curious as to what drunkendubliners breaking point was!

Chick wrote:
    Thanks Apex, wow that must be pretty hard -a shot an minute... so how many pints would be equivalent to 40mins of it? just curious as to what drunkendubliners breaking point was!

It'd be about 4 cans for an hour anyway (33ml X 60)... It's not much when drank at a slow rate, but drank at a consistant rate in one hour it'll do some damage :P

Yea, probably to the carpet.

• Advertisement

lol ok thanks.... maybe they should invest in some floor tiles instead of carpet for the Pav?

Advertisement