Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stabilising an 80cm Motorised Dish

Options
  • 20-09-2004 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I recently re-located my motorised setup - 80cm 'lidl' dish & Moteck SG100 motor.
    During yeserdays strong winds, sat tv was more or less unuseable for the
    most part. I need to find some way of stabilising the dish.I was thinking in terms of drilling to holes at the top/bottom of the dish and tying it back. However, this is not going to work as its a motorised system and their would be no tension on moving the dish.

The dish is bobbing up n down. Need to find some way of keeping it steady.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

1) Place windbreakers (eg netting or hedging) near the dish, but not obstructing its LOS.
    2) Put it indoors in a shed if you use perspex sheeting for example.
    3) Replace the H-to-H mount with a strengthened polar mount and heavy duty linear actuator - SuperJack III+ REGULAR type would be sufficient. Might seem like overkill for an 80cm, but the Mini type wouldn't hold up well in strong winds.
    http://www.satshop.com/actuator.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kramlq

I have a lidl dish and motor as well but it is gound mounted.
    I got a few paving slabs, stacked them up, screwed the wall mount
    into the top one and then attached the motor to the arm of the wall
    mount - the part that would be horizontal if the mount was on a wall.
    I also kept this whole setup as close to the wall of the house as it can
    be but still with enough clearance for the east and west limits.
    I have only ever had to realign it once and there have been several
    bad storms since them.

Also try to eliminate any play by tightening bolts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for the replys folks. I guess i will just put up with the inconvenience as moving it indoors/ground mounting/buying proper motor/using windbreak netting - all of these are not really options for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I use an old AE35 unit...

Advertisement