Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB Guns

Options
  • 19-09-2004 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Anywhere to get BB guns in Ireland? Do you reckon you'd get through the post if you bought one online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Note: The gardai have been making the point of late that you can't have a BB gun in Ireland without a licence (there's no lower limit on muzzle energy for air rifles to be firearms in Ireland, unlike in the UK), and since they usually don't have a serial number, getting a licence is often quite difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

My brother was looking into it awhile ago and I don't think really possible. He got some great bb guns over in thailand just from stalls on the street. They're called 'Double Eagle'. He got an automatic bb m16 rifle with laser site and blue torch attachment which looks absolutely amazing(exact likeness of the rifle but in plastic), a bb uzi and a bb pistol. all are great. had no problem getting them back into ireland he just declared them in the airport and showed them that they weren't real guns.

So if your in that area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

had no problem getting them back into ireland he just declared them in the airport and showed them that they weren't real guns.

/me despairs at the state of law enforcement... I mean, if we follow the rules, is it too much to ask that the airport security people do as well?

Dublin Airport's website says you can't have them on the plane.

And from July 30th's Fingal Independent:
    Sergeant Austin Cox of Malahide Garda Station appealed to parents travelling with their children to Spain not to purchase the pellet guns.

‘Although these guns are designed as toys they are legally judged to be firearms in Ireland and need to be handled with care,’ Sergeant Cox said.

‘I would advise parents that these are not innocuous toys and are considered firearms under the Firearms Act,’ he continued.

Sergeant Cox said normal garda procedure would be to seize the weapons and give parents a caution. However, he warned that if the weapons were found at an airport, it could land parents in a lot of legal trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Sparks wrote:
    /me despairs at the state of law enforcement... I mean, if we follow the rules, is it too much to ask that the airport security people do as well?

Nope,they wont as they can be as ignorant of the law as most of the general public.Worked in airport "security" in Shannon for awhile.i hate to say this folks but pre and post 9/11 security is still a disaster.It comes down to training of staff andknowledge,and more importantly keeping the air traffic moving worldwide.so that means security will be pushed to a minimum,as it alway is.

Dublin Airport's website says you can't have them on the plane.
    Did they define as "on" the plane being in the cabin or in declared hold luggage?
    As to what the gaurd said I agree with him.i already have seen a couple of Limerick kids with these damn things.Dressed like somthin out of Boyz in de Hood as well,carrying it street style and aiming them "gangsta" style as well.
    Informed the gaurds as well as to this as it was happening.not intrested,or no response.
    How long will it be before one of these twits trys a holdup with a nasty looking fake m16 or whatever,and us ligit shooters get it in the neck.?

Actually if there is one type of disipline i would like to see gone is paintball.
    It is shooting at live human targets.98% of the people i have met at these games i wouldnt entrust a feather duster to not to mind a firearm real or paint dispensing.
    They have no CONCEPT of saftey.I was shot in the back of the head with a paintball in the safe area from four feet.Those suckers hurt,and are well capable of taking an eye out.
    It has no disipline or rules to it.Basically spray and pray.
    Plenty of cammo wearing idiots here.
    Best gotten rid of.

Advertisement