Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless gaming problem

Options
  • 19-09-2004 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

i just need some advice from ppl that game over wireless lans
    i have a shuttle with the pci slot taken up by a sound card
    so i had to get a usb wireless adaptor
    its a e-tech Wireless 54 Mbps USB netwerk adapter
    since updating the firmware on the router(thats connected to the dsl) im getting a great signal
    4 bars out of 5 48mbs connection speed

but once every few minutes or so in game ill just lag or warp from one place to another
    a friend with a pci adaptor dosnt get this problem
    i dont have a free pci slot
    so is anyone gaming over a usb wireless adaptor and finding it stable
    if so what make and model is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Do 100 dos pings to the server. Count how many timeouts you get. Each timeout = 1%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

no timeouts put it spiked to about 600 ms twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

tuxy wrote:
    i just need some advice from ppl that game over wireless lans
    i have a shuttle with the pci slot taken up by a sound card
    so i had to get a usb wireless adaptor
    its a e-tech Wireless 54 Mbps USB netwerk adapter
    since updating the firmware on the router(thats connected to the dsl) im getting a great signal
    4 bars out of 5 48mbs connection speed

but once every few minutes or so in game ill just lag or warp from one place to another
    a friend with a pci adaptor dosnt get this problem
    i dont have a free pci slot
    so is anyone gaming over a usb wireless adaptor and finding it stable
    if so what make and model is it?
    Anything USB is going to be more CPU dependent than something on a PCI bus because USB is a dumb protocol. That's probably why your network performance in games is jumpy - the game isn't leaving enough CPU time for the USB driver to do its thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

do 100 pings to the actual router itself, rather than an online server, this will make sure that it is the wireless problem...

That specific card you have does sound a bit cheap and nasty... USB wireless cards in general tend to be not the greatest. Why not go out and get an 802.11g wireless bridge? You could just plug it into your LAN port on your shuttle, and then you are rockin'.

i think your right about the cpu usage max
    i didnt even know about wireless bridges that seems like the perfect solution thanks marclar

• Advertisement

ok im thinking of getting this http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE917322&productID=84859
    as a solution
    if someone knows of a better one for around the same price let me know please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

http://www.wi-pipe.net/TX1.htm

^^recommend. quality. workage.

Advertisement