Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Graphics Settings!

Options
  • 17-09-2004 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

Why is there only small differences between med and ultra graphics settings in games such as doom3 and far cry?
    And this small difference seems to mean the difference between how a mid range and cutting edge graphics cards handling the game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭[Core]

The difference between medium and ultra in Doom3 is pretty big... Not sure about Far Cry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tis a humongus leap in both games, have you turned AA on when applying the higher settings?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The Law of Diminishing Returns, works for just about anything as you push the envelope. Compare a jump of 256-16bit colour, vs. 16bit-32bit , less of an improvement but more of a strain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I havent the slightest doubt in my mind that someone will reply to this with "well actually the real reason is..." but i think its so nvidia can sell their 450w prerequisite 2 molex plug 2 slot JCB of a card the 6800 and also so Alienware can have a banner saying that this is the only card for you.

Give me a sapphire 98 pro any day. Quieter, fast and €200 cheaper than the 68. Quite obviously a different card tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

A 512mb card recemended for ultra graphics set so a 9800pro not really gonna cut it :(

Actually are there any 512mb cards on the market not for tech drawing?

• Advertisement

The 6900 Ultra will be out at christmas that has 512Mb.

Also fyi My friend has an AMD 3400+ with a gig of ddr and a sapphire 9800 pro 256mb and he plays Doom3 on ultra with 57 fps on average...reccomended settings mean nothing. i ran COD in 1280x1024 with 50 fps on a P3 500Mhz with a tnt2 32meg card and 128 sd ram. i bet infinity ward didnt see that coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i ran COD in 1280x1024 with 50 fps on a P3 500Mhz with a tnt2 32meg card and 128 sd ram. i bet infinity ward didnt see that coming.

Thats an 4 year old game engine with 3 types of texturing , you would ahve seen only the lowest texturing. So your Fps are ok for that spec. (god i hate knowing this ****)

The step up in Doom 3 and farcry is mainly hardware related, i went from a 9200SE to a 9800XT and didnt change resolution but the step up in shaders and Aa was unreal, they games looked stunning with the 9800XT compared to great with the 9200.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

A 512mb card recemended for ultra graphics set so a 9800pro not really gonna cut it :(

Actually are there any 512mb cards on the market not for tech drawing?
    theres a few of tehm for video editing and the like but they cost a lot and im pretty sure they dont function in the same way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

The current 512mb gfx cards are only for tech drawing and they are veerry slow
    Cant handle games :(

Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to how expensivethe 6900 gonna be?

Well seeing as you can now buy a GeForce 6800 Ultra (256MB DDR3 AGP, "CoolFX Ultra/2600 GS" 450Plus mhz) for €910, why would you want a 512mb card. He He...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300416&cks=PRL for those of you who want to laugh. Liquid cooling and all you would want to be a serious muppet to buy this card instead of an entire pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Well seeing as you can now buy a GeForce 6800 Ultra (256MB DDR3 AGP, "CoolFX Ultra/2600 GS" 450Plus mhz) for €910, why would you want a 512mb card. He He...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300416&cks=PRL for those of you who want to laugh. Liquid cooling and all you would want to be a serious muppet to buy this card instead of an entire pc.

a card more expensive than an entire computer must be worth it :D
    no need for such extravegence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Ultra settings are there to make sure most systems will be brought to their knee's to get you to fork out cash and upgrade of course! ;)

Advertisement