Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUAS Crash

Options
  • 17-09-2004 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the radio, big crash between two Luas near steaphens green. Didnt say anything about injurys but someone there said the two Luas look like write offs :eek:

Quick! someone get down there with a digital camera :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

From RTE.ie

Two injured in Luas accident

17 September 2004 16:31
    Two people have received minor injuries in an accident involving at least one Luas tram, at Stephen's Green, according to reports.

Four units of Dublin Fire Brigade are at the scene of the crash.

Witnesses are reported as saying two Luas trams were in collision with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

my brother just rang me there a few mins ago to say that he was on the one behind it and seen it happening... no camera with him unfortunately...

Apparently they just collided with each other for some reason... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

pictures anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Apparently they just collided with each other for some reason... :rolleyes:

The reason was because the part of the track that changes one tram from one line to the other got stuck/jammed/broke and the 2 trams collided as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

well, that didnt take long, glad your brother is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BaZmO* wrote:
    The reason was because the part of the track that changes one tram from one line to the other got stuck/jammed/broke and the 2 trams collided as a result.
    Second time that switch has caused trouble...probably something they should look at..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I went to dublincity.ie to have a look at their street camera's and when you
    go to St. Stephens Green / Harcourt Street camera you are presented with the
    following picture.
    Spot anything missing?

This country......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

3 big claims coming up, there goes all the profits so far!

wasnt there a collision in Tallaght?

Sleipnir wrote:
    I went to dublincity.ie to have a look at their street camera's and when you
    go to St. Stephens Green / Harcourt Street camera you are presented with the
    following picture.
    Spot anything missing?

This country......

That's Christ Church isn't it? I checked them earlier, they're all ****ed. Sure the sun isn't even out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

From Breaking news

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/09/17/story167019.html

Looks like minor injuries and some damage. But the trams are not a right off.

you know there is a great article about the luas in "spokeout" though that magazine only comes out 3 times a year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭P11 Comms

That trailing cross over seems to be problematic. Derailment last week and now this. Thank god nobody was seriously injured.

The Harcourt Street line route was a no brainer - the Tallaght line will be the real test of the system. I would be more concerned with the situation on the Tallaght line due to the shorter 30M trams on the more populated route which has still not been explained, to the bizzare arrangment at Store Street which nobody can explain either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭P11 Comms

Rozabeez wrote:
    you know there is a great article about the luas in "spokeout" though that magazine only comes out 3 times a year...

What was the gist of the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i was there just after it happened. Before they sectoined it off and all that ;) Damage was pretty bad but will only require some new windows and panels, (looks worse than it is i'd say) As for the reason, seems like its been a problem with the changing things. The whole injuries seems a bit blown up. As was said it seemed like shock. Saw the two children in the pram who seemed ok, just shocked.Its gonna get slated tomorrow, a bit unfortunate as i love the thing. Iv never had to wait more than 4 or 5 minutes to get on one and its never too packed to be uncomfortable. From my doorstep to when im in town is only about 25 minutes. Im sure there be a fair share of "i wont feel safe on the LUAS anymore" or "more taxpayers money" etc etc.

[EDIT] lol, didnt see the previous post about the switcher thing[/EDIT]

Somebody from ie.general has some photos here...

http://www.percha.f2s.com/luas_prang.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Thx for the photos,it looks worse than I thought.I'm surprised more people were not injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

How much does one of those trams cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

it wont need a new tram or anything, though id say a tram is A LOT of €€€€'s. Just new panels. It does look pretty bad though. Aparently they have two trams on "standby" in sandyford incase of accidents.Dont know if thats true, seems a bit convienient

P11 Comms wrote:
    What was the gist of the article?

twas just about modern transport and the luas and stuff like that, um its an irish wheelchair association magazine, the reason i brought it up is cos my sister actually wrote the article.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

P11 Comms wrote:
    That trailing cross over seems to be problematic. Derailment last week and now this. Thank god nobody was seriously injured.

The Harcourt Street line route was a no brainer - the Tallaght line will be the real test of the system. I would be more concerned with the situation on the Tallaght line due to the shorter 30M trams on the more populated route which has still not been explained, to the bizzare arrangment at Store Street which nobody can explain either.

I will be astonished and very relieved if there isn't a serious accident in the James St stretch. Its one of the few areas in the city where trams and other road vehicles will share a lane but there is absolutely no signage to this effect couple that with an awkward entrance/exit point at James Hospital with again appalling signage and its a recipe for disaster.

There is no room along this stretch for the luas to overtake a cyclist - yesterday I watched a young girl cycling in the narrow stretch between footpath and tramtrack with the luas directly behind her all the way up the stretch not nice at all for the cyclist or the luas driver either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

Normal Luas services have resumed.

is there not a problem that needs to be looked at and fixed before they go back into service?

chewy wrote:
    is there not a problem that needs to be looked at and fixed before they go back into service?
    I don't think so. Damage was minor and injuries were a few scratches. The luas aren't exactly speeding around at the terminus. There's no reason to shut down that whole section for such a problem. Drivers will just need to be more careful until a proper solution is come up with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

seamus wrote:
    I don't think so. Damage was minor and injuries were a few scratches. The luas aren't exactly speeding around at the terminus. There's no reason to shut down that whole section for such a problem. Drivers will just need to be more careful until a proper solution is come up with.

Would you be as sanguine about the situation if you had the scratches?

dub45 wrote:
    Would you be as sanguine about the situation if you had the scratches?
    I would. I'd laugh that I happened to be on board for the first LUAS-LUAS crash, and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote:
    I would. I'd laugh that I happened to be on board for the first LUAS-LUAS crash, and walk away.
    After much verbal abuse :)

Advertisement