Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor signal in Donegal now

Options
  • 16-09-2004 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Well just tested a Meteor 085 number and it's working in Donegal. Must have just started today on O2 roaming. As well as that there's no credit on the phone and it's still allowing me to make calls.

Comments

Ah you got there before me! O2 roaming working in Listowel, Co. Kerry from today. My phone actually shows both network names as it retrieves the Meteor name from my SIM. Means my phone doesn't show the date anymore, lol. You can also see the green roaming triangle here.

roaming.jpg

I've just spotted a couple of problems with the roaming. I don't think Meteor have properly sorted out things yet.
    First of all, *#100# doesn't seem to be getting updated when I call or send an SMS (free calls??? I doubt it). Secondly, 1741 and 1742 don't work, the number is unavailable. Finally, *#101# shows me the details of a call I made last night on Meteor's network and none from today.

Luckily I can select Meteor's network manually but I hope they sort these out, hardly any point in getting a Meteor phone in a total Meteor blackspot if you can't top up, lol.

That could explain why you're able to make and receive calls with no credit, they could put a negative balance on your account, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

Kevinmcc
    Where abouts in Donegal are you? I'm from Gweedore, wonder if there is any coverage up that way yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I'm in Inishowen. There will be Meteor coverage in Gweedore as long as O2 have coverage there which I'm sure they do. It should be up and running today as their whole network was switched on by yesterday.

Yeah, I saw a Meteor ad on TV3 during the 5:30 news stating that they have "national coverage". The small print specified "roaming agreements with other operators." So I'd say that everything is up and running now.

Still no 1741 here though, is anyone else able to dial it?
    I get a recorded message "The number you have dialled cannot be reached at this time, please try again later." It doesn't sound like any standard operator message, its certainly not O2 or Meteor's standard recorded messages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The roaming applies to parts of counties

Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Limerick, Galway, Cork, Roscommon, Longford & Clare

This is the latest coverage map on their site,including the roaming

map.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Was in Stranolar, Co.Donegal last night and Metoer came on alright on O2 Ireland. However the same problems as mentioned above occoured to myself. When back over the border, I'll see if there's any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Me wonders what happens when you try to send a MMS message to meteor, O2 or Vodafone when you are roaming on O2 with meteor?

Just tried this second to send an MMS from my Meteor phone to an O2 mobile, still doesn't work. :(

This is my only complaint with Meteor now, come on guys, sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm up in Letterkenny and when i do a network search i can only find vodafone and O2, but i'm using my meteor card through O2 now and i don't think i'm getting charged any extra. Still just O2 showing up on my fone though no meteor underneath it or anything :confused:

Farlz

• Advertisement

Things are getting better - 1741 and 1742 are now working when roaming. The voice sounds slightly different, seems as if they aren't relaying the Meteor system but are using a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

kevinmcc wrote: »
    I'm in Inishowen. There will be Meteor coverage in Gweedore as long as O2 have coverage there which I'm sure they do. It should be up and running today as their whole network was switched on by yesterday.
    Hi kevinmcc - whereabouts are you in Inishowen? We are thinking of moving to the Tremone Bay area for a period of time, but when we got as far as Carrowmenagh, we lost total coverage on our Vodafone cell phones.
    We're now wondering if Meteor might be a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

13 year old thread, sigh.

On the other hand, Karsinis phone, LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Retro chic.

Both the phone and the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Holy thread renewal batman! Meteor roaming on O2 network, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Antoninus wrote: »
    Hi kevinmcc - whereabouts are you in Inishowen? We are thinking of moving to the Tremone Bay area for a period of time, but when we got as far as Carrowmenagh, we lost total coverage on our Vodafone cell phones.
    We're now wondering if Meteor might be a solution.

I was touring in this area a couple of weeks ago, and had excellent 4G coverage on my Eir Mobile (Meteor's parent) - so you should be fine. Others who were travelling with me had to tether to my phone, because they had no Vodafone or Three data service! While I wasn't surprised that Three didn't work, it's incredible that Vodafone hasn't plugged this coverage gap more than 13 years after it was previously highlighted here!.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

That'll teach me to check dates before replying to a previous comment!
    Thank you all the same for the replies, and for being such sports! The comments have been a real help.
    ...right, that's me now off to find an ancient thread about wireless broadband signals around Malin Head...

Advertisement