Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelish (c) = Gaeilge & English

Options
  • 16-09-2004 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

There used to be a very funny cartoon series in an English newspaper. I can't remember the name of the paper but the series was called Franglais. Everything was written half in French and half in English. It was very funny. It gradually stretched your knowledge of French. Now I know it will foster poor Irish. But foster it, nourtour it, re-awaken it and who knows it might grow into good Irish.
    The general idea is to start a topic in Gaelish(c) and gradually the less fluent speakers might join in. Gentle corrections may be posted by the more fluent.

It might be a good thread. May Hector look favourably upon us.
    Let the mods decide. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Tabhair sampla duinn! (Give us an example).

Chonac sketch i nuachtán cheanna ag lorg stádas oifigiúil san Eoraip don nGaelscoilis agus don Hectorais!

(I already saw a sketch in a newspaper asking for official EU status for Gaelscoilish and Hectorish!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ta me ag lorg one right now beidh me ar ais in a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

How about franglaeilge, un mélange do Bhéarla, French et irlandais?!

Quelle bonne smaoineamh, is docha go mbeadh seans mhaith ann that it might work ach cad mar gheall le na poor unfortunates qui no hablar other teanganeacha. Ils n'avais pas entiendos que passe. Ich bien quite sure go gceapfaidh siad go bhfuilmid as ar mheamhaireacha. No rud eigin like that.

That's all a bit mad Ted, can we stop now I'm getting dizzy. :D

Even when I try to write Irish as correctly as I can my grammar can be quite old fashioned. When I started school I had to learn to read and write Irish using the old alphabet. I'm quite proud of that, I can still write it and I have the correct fonts on my Pc at home. But I do spell things the old way for instance Maeve is medb to me etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

No corrections, gentle or otherwise. We're here for fun, not in national school.

(Studies of the way women and men teach shows that a mother teaching a child to speak doesn't correct, but instead praises while repeating the incorrect phrase in its correct form: "I did go to the shop, Mammy!" "Oh, that's *very* good - you went to the shop? I went to the shop yesterday!")

Ar aon chor, anyone going to the pictures an tseachtain seo chugainn? Bhfuil na pictúirí go léir bleeding awful nó an bhfuil ceann ar bith go hOK?

I might go and have a wee feach at IfreannBuachaill. Chuala me go bhfuil se worth the airgead. Cad e an focal le popcorn, is chuma it catches i mo chuid fiachlai anyway.

Ná bí ag bleeding caint faoi Hellboy, tá hellish temper orm faoi láthair - chuaigh mé go dtí flat de cara liom aréir and she's going to have to pay €4,000 for her university course - essential for her career prospects - plus luach na leabhair, and níl a fhios agam ar chor ar bith cén chaoi she'll effing do it. Oh, táim braon de sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Is maith liom an idea Hagar, makes it much easier to ease into gaelige. Im ashamed ach rinne me dearmad(i forgot?) a lan gaelige nuar a dfhag me scoil. But i would like to be corrected, just how i work ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Well, smaoineamh ana deadly lads. Tá roinnt laughs le beith ann. An cabhrach doibh suid that dont have the know how. Ah tá mé crap at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jesjes wrote:
    Ah tá mé crap at this.
    Actually you're all pretty good at this - I could understand everything on the page (even Hagar's evil spanish/french/german/irish mix) and normally I just wouldn't. I'm the quintessential "less fluent" Gaelgoir - I can read it (sort of) by searching for context (if I can find it) or sometimes changing the odd c to p and pretending it's welsh but I probably haven't been able to actually construct it in a decade. Anyhoo, just an observation, lean ar aghaidh.

What do you think ar gcairde ó tire eile are making out of this carnan các?
    Has anyone got the iasacht de €5? :D Oh all of a sudden níl aon Gaeilge ag einne. :D

Advertisement