Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Phantom Menace Mini Review

Options
  • 01-06-1999 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Ok, seen it on Friday nite in Toronto, brand spanking new cinema complex with every enhanced sound/vision blah blah etc etc.

OMG its disappointing. The script is very poor, the dialogue is cringe worthy at times. It really ruins it as almost every other part of it is class, brilliant special effects, music .... was it well the same? Or did I miss something? Seemed the same score as the previous ones.

I left the film feeling very disappointed/annoyed, like i really wanted to like it, I loved the previous star wars films. I'd hope that george lucas gets someone with a clue in to do the script on the next 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Aye, theres some incredibly mixed reviews coming out atm, but a lot of people seem to be going with your angle Nog.

Lucas's problem is he likes cute so much, that you have a character like JarJar, who by all accounts is one of the naffest things in history - and he was never much cop at the dialogue game I dont think. Who the hell watches the first trilogy for the dialogue? Ok, Empire has some good stuff here and there, but it is the best of the three and - surprise - Lucas didnt write the actual screenplay.

Whats the bets he had more imput again on Jedi with the bleedin' Ewoks?? smile.gif

Roll on June 11th for The Matrix I say - now there is a film that looks like it'll kick some serious ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yeah those Jamaican aliens and Italian slave owners were a bit weird.

J.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just saw the movie and its not as bad as Noggy makes out.Tho jarjar is a fuking pain in the *****and then some,the lightsabre duel at the end more than makes up for jarjar.And the music is new smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

saw it on saturday there.

Boy is it bad, dialogue sucks, acting sucks...special effects; nothing i havent really seen before.

The only decent scene (pod race) goes on for way too long which kinda ruins it.

And why the **** does Darth Maul get around in a flying bubble chair?!...i mean hes supposed to be a big scary villan smile.gif

Cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 20-40

In the first film - plain ol' "Star Wars" - i didnt think it was all that good but i loved the next 2 (Which lucas only had a small part in)so what i'm trying to say here is...- was george lucas flukey with the first one? and maybe phantom menace just shows him up.

[This message has been edited by 20-40 (edited 28-06-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Star Wars promised nothing and delivered everything, Phantom Menace promised everything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Graysonn

Apparently (Well I read this in the Sunday Times magazine) at the studio screening of the original Star Wars all the big hollywood exec's were present, Alan Ladd Jr etc...
    They hated it. All but one guy. The young Stephan Spielberg. He said that it was a classic story about the battle between good and evil. It had simple likeable characters and a simple plot. And he predicted that it would gross at least 100 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ever read JMC's review of SW enhanced version? (JMC is the guy who wrote Babylon5).

Basically he said that Lucas should never of been allowed near the originals, as he changed the plot in some places to turn it into a cheap laugh film.

There was a big massive list, but the two biggies I remember is adding in the "aahhhhhhh!" scream when Luke throws himself off the balcony after fighting Darth. It made it look like he slipped instead of intenionally threw himself off. The other was where chewbacca is swinging on a vine and does the tarzan call.

There were loads of others I just forget them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i seen it tooooooooooooo

JarJar is the most annoying thing possible to create. i spent the whole film hoping he would get blasted.. sad.gif

"Programming today is a race between software engineers
    striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof
    programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger
    and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

[This message has been edited by MiCr0 (edited 29-06-99).]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm still resolutely expecting to enjoy SWthePM because I'm a saddo SW fanatic and I still think "A New Hope" is the greatest film ever made, mainly because of what it meant to me at the time I saw it (1977).
    It's obvious the new film is flawed but to address one comment about Empire being the best and the possible dodgy script writing of Lucas I think that's incorrect. All three films contain lines you forever remember and requote. Lucas' problem was more accurately pinpointed in a magazine I read recently. HE seems unable to interact well with his cast and apparently it's even more obvious in the new film with all the actors looking very sombre and uninspired. Oh well.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Only good line in TPM is "Send in the droid" at the start. smile.gif

Oh yea and "mesa jarjar bean, mesa an annoying sob, mesa wont die, mesa be in sequel".

Advertisement