Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Thing Ever. Buffy Complete Boxset.

Options
  • 16-09-2004 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

You might recall all the online sites dropped the prices of the Buffy DVD boxsets a few months ago. Here's why.

From the BBC site.

"The whole lot on DVD in one box coming soon.

Out on 22nd November, courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, is Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Complete DVD Collector's Edition.

Joyously packaged in a leatherette box, the set includes the seven seasons spread over 39 discs at the bargain price of £199.99.

As well as all the episodes, the DVD set includes various extra including commentaries, featurettes, outtakes, Easter Eggs, trailers and cast biographies.

Plus, there's a special booklet included and a letter from Joss Whedon himself – although we doubt he's written each one.

Be warned, with only 10,000 produced, it may just fly off the shelves."

http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=227066

I'm running out of organs to sell...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

whats the bets Sarah Michelle Gellar provides absolutely nothing to the extras (no commentary, etc.)

besides, Season 4 sucked, Season 5 & 6 weren't very memorable and I only have memories of Season 7 cos TV3 are still showing it. Sorry to rain on anyones parade.

PS Jill if your still selling organs & stuff, can i order the "deluxe sense of humour" please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Tell you what, I won't bet against you. She'll probably be too busy providing an extra commentary for Scooby Doo 2...

Season 4 had it's moments. Who am I kidding? It had Hush. Season 5 had The Body, which justifies it's existance no matter how many gigantic, galaxy imploding plot holes it also had. I've developed a special mental shield against the existance of the next season you mentioned, though I can't deny I own the OMWF soundtrack. Season 7 marked both the end of the biggest Nerdalising influence in my life, and the return of Faith, both things which make it tolerable, even if it was the new, improved Fergie-from-the-Black-Eyed-Peas Faith. (Madd skillz? What the f*ck Joss?)

Basically, the complete set means people like me will be able to own the weaker seasons without having to drink themselves into a seizure to justify the expenditure.

As for the sense of humour... I'm afraid I'm currently whoring that out for rep points...

Look, I dance too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Joyously packaged in a leatherette box, the set includes the seven seasons spread over 39 discs at the bargain price of £199.99.

I'm running out of organs to sell...

£199.99? Amazon.co.uk have it for £139.99.

I'm jus' quotin' from the BBC. Most of my family currently work in music/dvd shops (We're high achievers...) so I might get it for considerably less... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Not a bad price - 7 seasons for under €200. Certainly good compared to the large Star Trek series boxsets for well up on €450, considering they don't have that many more episodes per season.

I'm not as down on seasons 5 through 7 as many people seem to be. I actually enjoyed them all very much at the time, even preferring the darker tone in places. Nothing like seeing your heroes get all moody as they leave school and face the big bad (world, that is!)

I even enjoyed the finale, though would have changed quite a few things - having the Potentials become Slayers was pretty inspired.

Anyone know if this set contains the same extras as the regular season sets? Would be less interested if it contained less. (Though I'm sure season boxset owners will be peeved if it contains *more*...)

Having the original pilot in perfect quality (as opposed to my watchable, but weak 300MB version) would be nice as well...

• Advertisement

The only thing I've heard re: extras was what the BBC mentioned-

("As well as all the episodes, the DVD set includes various extra including commentaries, featurettes, outtakes, Easter Eggs, trailers and cast biographies.")

There's a persistent fan rumour that all the episodes will get commentaries, but the chances of that are slim to none (144 episodes and all...) There's no word on how the extras in the set will compare to the old individual sets... Personally, I reckon they might have a few "new" featurettes and maybe some new outtakes (No doubt curiously SMG free outtakes...) and that'll be it. Maybe some interviews with the less recognisable cast...

Those extras sound by and large the same as the boxsets, but nothing would surprise me if the larger set had more. (Am I right in thinking the Once More With Feeling individual DVD has more on it than the season six collection?)

I doubt that all episodes will get commentaries, not unless they divided it up so that there were about 40 people doing them or several groups (about 4 each, including cast, writers and sundry crew) spread across the entire series.

Will have to hold off and see how this compares. If it's the same as Paramount's larger Star Trek sets, then they will be identical, but we've been burned by Family Guy's mega set having a whole extra DVD!

Only SMG outtakes I remember seeing was several from her MTV Buffy special where she made mistakes on several of the links.

I've seen her laugh at David B phlubbing the word "Wasps" in I Only Have Eyes For You... and that's it. Why is it that the very face of the show never seems to make a mistake? Actually, I seem to have answered my own question there...

Unless you count her role in Scooby Doo which was a mistake of gigantic proportions which she somehow did allow us to see on screen! Oh, that she hadn't...

Oh, I dunno. I seem to recall her being in a movie that was halfway between Swiss Family Robinson and Home Alone. Being the unrecoverable nerd that I am, I watched it to the end. Oh, I felt dirty, and sick with myself, but I still watched it. Just like I know I'll make myself watch Race The Sun and True Lies next time those masterpieces of the filmic arts are on... Just like I sat through Roswell, just like I sat through Spooks, just like I sat through Johnothan Creek...

On the upside, I do love Little Britain..

• Advertisement

I watched her spoiled brat-mode Burger King ad. "Happy Christmas, McDonalds" indeed.

I love Race The Sun! TV3 seem to like showing that twice a year for some reason. Must be cheap. I always want Halle Berry to move into Storm mode and give them a hand...!

"Do you know what happens to an unsporting rival solar-powered vehicle racing team when it's struck by lightening?"

Her Saturday Night Live impresson of Chirstina Aguilera in making the video of Dirrty was absolutely brilliant. Download it now if you haven't seen it.

A quote:
    'You know that Dirrty feeling you get when, y'know, you wake up on the bottom of a city bus floor, with like, like a condom in your ear?.. Well thats the feeling we're tryin' to re-create!.. Dang, I LOVE that feeling'.

So funny...

Her Saturday Night Live impresson of Chirstina Aguilera in making the video of Dirrty was absolutely brilliant. Download it now if you haven't seen it.

A quote:
    'You know that Dirrty feeling you get when, y'know, you wake up on the bottom of a city bus floor, with like, like a condom in your ear?.. Well thats the feeling we're tryin' to re-create!.. Dang, I LOVE that feeling'.

So funny...

:D

A shame she is, by all accounts, difficult to get on with, because she is very, very funny.

HMV have a picture now...

A quote:

So funny...

Her SNL was one of the funniest ever. Definitely worth watching. Also loved her rendition of a dental nurse in that.

The girl has comedic talents, without doubt. Let's hope some of her future film work showcases that.

And I don't mean a role in Sabrina. (shudder)
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds15846.html

I'll believe that when I see it... she's trying so hard to get away from "teen" roles and break into credible Hollywood... even the snobbery that greeted Buffy every awards season (That The Body didn't get an Emmy was a f**king disgrace) is nothing compared to the Anti-Cred that a role in Sabrina would offer. Even Scooby Doo is more respectable because it's just so shameless...

Not to mention how idiotic it would be to try to redo that franchise so soon without
    the actress who made it so well known on television.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

i hav all 7 seven seasons already on DVD anyway so there'll be no need 4 me to get this. the only season i didn't like was season 6 (apart from the fantastic musical episode) loved the rest

I think there's a few gems in the early part of season six, after Buffy's been brought back. The whole notion of being pulled out of heaven against your will was pretty emotional stuff to me anyway.

As for this set, any word yet on whether there'll new, additional extras, or just those from the regular season releases?

Still no word on extras. And ah, a moment of silence please. As you may have heard, the old book style "Collectors Editions" are to be pulled. A sad day for DVD masochists everywhere, as the boxes, pretty as they looked, were a nightmare when you were in the middle of a Buffython...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

What a F**KING bargain! I could never afford Buffy boxsets before, but all seven seasons for under €200 is amazing.

I'm a very happy Scoob.

Special features are identical to the previous releases, but, each set (There's - brace yourself - only 10,000!) comes with a letter from Joss Whedon, supposedly autographed (Hmm...). They also come with a list of Joss's top ten, which are actually twelve, favourite episodes. You can see a more detailed description here...

http://www.buffy-boards.com/showthread.php?t=19450

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

There's only 10,000? Should I pre-order now!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

That is good! Just comparing prices with Amazon if you bought them all sperately and it would cost £210.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I have Seasons 1-5 on Region 1 DVD (got S1-4 when FOX did their special offer last year + S5 for less than $100!)
    I don't think I'm too bothered going for this..I'll just wait for S6+7 to come down in price in the US :)

The box itself doesn't look that nice imo!

Jill_Valentine has a Boxset, and thus an identity! That identity is 03594! Jill_Valentine has foolishly agreed to accept boxset as Christmas present, meaning I can't play with it for another month! Jill_Valentine is a f*ckwit!

Boxset sounds cool - Jill, did you open it? Is the Joss letter inside?
    I may take the plunge, treat myself for Christmas and sell off the sets I already have...

Was reading Sci.Fi (US's channel) magazine recently and they report that the animated Buffy project is back up and running fully again, with sound recordings for Buffy being made by Giselle Loren, the voice of Buffy from the Chaos Bleeds computer game. Seems Gellar definitely won't be contributing to that... (I know the animated thing comes up regularly, but this magazine was last month's edition, and they're usually spot on - as they seem to be with details of progress on Serenity, Joss's Firefly movie.)

Was reading Sci.Fi (US's channel) magazine recently and they report that the animated Buffy project is back up and running fully again, with sound recordings for Buffy being made by Giselle Loren, the voice of Buffy from the Chaos Bleeds computer game. Seems Gellar definitely won't be contributing to that... (I know the animated thing comes up regularly, but this magazine was last month's edition, and they're usually spot on - as they seem to be with details of progress on Serenity, Joss's Firefly movie.)

Yeah, saw the same on TV Tome & in Xposé...apparently it's moving ahead, but there's still not a confirmed network/timeslot for it. I also read that Sarah Michelle Gellar passed on doing the voice because she didn't agree with how Buffy would be in the animated series...seems she can change into things & has magic powers or summat. Can't say I like the sound of that either!
    Jill_Valentine has foolishly agreed to accept boxset as Christmas present, meaning I can't play with it for another month! Jill_Valentine is a f*ckwit!

Hehe, I'm in the same boat...anything arriving in the post these days in the line of DVDs, CDs or games are off-limits until Christmas, d'oh! I managed to get away with Gwen Stefani & Evanescence's new CDs on Monday though hehe ;)

Just ordered 'Angel' Season 1-3 on Amazon.com for €75, which works out @ €25 per season. I threw in S4 for €29... Bargain! S5 is out in February on R1 for €29 aswell, so I'm pretty happy with gettin' all of 'Angel' for those prices :D

The bundled 'Angel' season 1-3 pack is like what Amazon.com did before for 'Buffy' S1-5 in a bundle, it's a really good offer...just as long as no one posts that somewhere in Dublin is selling 'Angel' off cheap ;)

Update -- Got back into Dublin yesterday, and was in HMV on Grafton Street. Still pricing their DVDs as reasonably as ever :rolleyes:

'Angel' -- €135.99 per season, apart from S1, which is discounted to €70-ish.

'Buffy- Complete Series Box Set' -- €299.99 :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement