Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

License change ?

Options
  • 16-09-2004 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

I've just sold my Browning 22lr and bought an Anschutz 1710, does anyone know how long it'll take the get the new rifle licensed? do they transfer one to the other or will it be a new license ?. I presume it should be trouble free as I hold a current permit?

Both deals are between private sellers, i.e. no dealers involved. Dunno if that matters. Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Get the right guard in the station, and it should be a matter of a couple of minutes. Same licence, just the details will be amended.

Only hassle with private sales is you can't progress the deal until the other party has actually got a licence for the gun you're selling. You can't hand it over until you've seen the other person's licence. You can't get the new gun until the old gun has been transferred to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Cool, I wonder if I could get a 2nd License until the old gun is handed over ?. I know it'd cost a few quid but maybe thats a possibility ?.

I dont want to have to hand the gun into a dealer/garda station. Suppose I'ts best to call the station tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

With rifles, the second licence will cost €38, same as the first (why oh why?).

You'll also have a hell of a job convincing a super you have a genuine reason to hold two 22s.

Hmm I hoped that he'd agree that the current one is only for a few weeks until the new owner gets his license. Plus if one is a target gun and the other a hunting rifle he may agree ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Depends on the super Haket :(
    I've heard of people being refused certs because "you're not allowed to have two rifles in the same house" (utterly wrong, there is no legal limit) amongst other reasons which do more to decry the state of firearms training in the Gardai than anything they do for furthering the safety of the public.
    Mind you, you can't blame the Gardai for that - it's not like they get sufficent funding to train everyone in legalities :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 foresight

The quickest way to get the licence transfered to your benefit is to go to a dealer and see if you can arrange to have the rifle stored until the other party gets the licence. This may invole some storage fees, but will free up your licence for the new rifle.

If your are buying your new rifle from a dealer may I suggest that you go back to that dealer and explain the situation and see what advice he or she may offer.

In any regards best of luck with your new rifle.

Yes, that does seem the case alright, having to re-apply for a second license (and wait all that time again) even though you currently hold a valid one seems silly though. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

"Get the right Garda"

I popped in to see the local firearms officer a couple of nights ago, applied for a second permit... he just took the details, said there should be no problem..give him about 3 weeks...busy time of year etc. Couldnt have been more helpfull.
    There was a guy on front of me picking up his 4th licence!

Its amazing the difference in certain stations/areas.

Advertisement