Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulysses 31

Options
  • 15-09-2004 10:30am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I just finished watching Volume 3 - the final volume - of Ulysses 31 last night. Now, going in, I thought to myself that I had gotten the series solely based on nostalgia and that it would actually be quite poor. I found myself enjoying it to a surprising, sometimes almost shocking, extent.

Firstly, the stories (obviously not all the time) could be quite clever in the way they reworked the ancient myths. Almost all the characters they encountered had some basis in 'The Odyssey' and the show could put a 31st century slant on it (e.g. Cerbebus becoming a three-pronged guardian satellite).

Secondly, there was the actual style/animation of the show. Sure the animation, technically, can't compare to modern works or even early 90s stuff like Batman:TAS, but it was quite decent in parts. However, more so than that, the show had a ton of style in the way it fused ancient Greece and a futuristic setting. The costumes felt right and the way various buildings, races, etc. were implemented gave the show its own look and feel. A talented team of Japanese animators clearly put a good bit of effort into this one (for a more recent example of their work, look no further than the last four Daft Punk videos).

The score in the show is also amazing. Powerful, deep and orchestral - I've found it more moving than nearly any other show score, animated or otherwise. I could still remember all the tunes from hearing them years ago.

Other elements I enjoyed about it include the atmosphere of the show. It was incredibly bleak. I actually had to laugh at the show sometimes because it gave Millennium a run for its money. This was meant to be a kids show but they constantly waved victory in front of Ulysses' and his kid's faces and cruelly snatched it away. People would die and, in one particularly nasty moment, they condemned someone to eternal suffering despite him realizing the error of his ways (which generally is the get-out card in kids shows). This darker tone, I think, helped me enjoy it more as an adult than a more light-fare show, such as M.A.S.K.

Given I could remember bits from every episode that I watched, despite a decade and a half having passed, I think it's a testament to the quality of the show. I may be wearing slightly rose-tinted glasses but I whole heartedly recommend this show as one of the great kids shows of the 80s that can still hold its own today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ye, was one of my favourites as a kid, they're showing it on one of the cartoon chanels late at night, along with, jace and the wheeled wariors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Yup it's on Fox Kids Ch 604 i think on sky

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

ahhh the memories.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Hi Ioxy

Any chance of a spoiler on the ending eps.

Did he wake the crew and get home....?

Cheers Lawdie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lawdie wrote:
    Any chance of a spoiler on the ending eps.
    Did he wake the crew and get home....?
    Sure thing:
    In the final episode, they finally reach the Kingdom of Hades. Ulysses thinks he's made it home but, tricked by the Gods, he's forced to sacrifice himself in order to save his loved ones. But - phew! - it's the final test by the Gods and, having shown himself worthy of self sacrifice, Ulysses is granted release, Shirka is shown the route home, his companions - freed when they reached Hades - are released and everyone happily goes home! Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Cheers it brought back the memories of the ending

Thanks!

Spot on for your earlier comments, good show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I can vaguely remember Ulyses31, but I remember watching it every Sunday morning though, it was a great cartoon. I saw Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors there a few weeks ago too... man, how I've missed those cartoons!! :o

Advertisement