Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity officially the best college in the country

Options
  • 13-09-2004 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

The Sunday Times published their league table of the third level institutions yesterday. Trinity came top, unsurprisingly. But there was a big surprise in that UCD fell from second place to fourth place. Our new rivals as the best college in the country are DCU.

It's official - not only are we better than UCD, so are UCC and DCU...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

not thats youre gloating or anything.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

The Sunday Times published their league table of the third level institutions yesterday. Trinity came top, unsurprisingly. But there was a big surprise in that UCD fell from second place to fourth place. Our new rivals as the best college in the country are DCU.

It's official - not only are we better than UCD, so are UCC and DCU...

How were the rankings decided.....what criteria used?

p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

pekelly wrote:
    How were the rankings decided.....what criteria used?

p

Two balls of string and a twenty-sided dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

anyone gone over to the ucd board for a gloat ? :p

SkyLynx wrote:
    anyone gone over to the ucd board for a gloat ? :p

Now now.....down with that sort of thing!! :D we will leave that up to our other underlings from UCC and DCU ;)

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Two balls of string and a twenty-sided dice.

LOL.... :D

lol, well we could prove em all right about tcd being snobs and start thread's on it on all 3 of their boards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

SkyLynx wrote:
    lol, well we could prove em all right about tcd being snobs and start thread's on it on all 3 of their boards :p

Yeah, I wouldn't at all be up for perpetuating that type of thing. But fair play to DCU. Do they know yet in their board? (I'll check) An anonymous tip I wouldn't be against my beliefs. Just as long as nothin is said bout tcd. It's nice knowin these things, not nice sayin it..

Also I agree with pekelly, desertcircus, you be able to provide us with criteria by any chance? We science types need our figures ;) I myself can't take anything at face value.. :p

And thusly the league was scored:

It is compiled using a formula that rewards an institution's ability to attract high-calibre entrants above all else.

Four other factors are given equal but lesser weighting in the table, all of them with a fundamental bearing on the quality of experience for students enrolled at the 20 universities and institutes of technology included in our table.

The other four factors are:

# The percentage of final examinations resulting in first and upper second-class honours degrees — giving an indication of which institutions reward high-quality work with the best degrees.

# The number of graduates unemployed six months after leaving — showing which institutions prepare their students best for the job market.

# The dropout rate — showing the institutions in which students are most likely to be unsettled by finding large numbers of their peer group failing to make the grade.

# The student/staff ratio — indicating where students are most likely to get high levels of personal attention and where academics are hardest pressed.

That was last years anyway, I think this year they counted in research (which DCU is doin deadly in apparently)..

And DCU haven't found out yet.. I'm telling them :)

PS: It's 04:30. And I'm after finding a can of guinness in the fridge. After a night of studying for my resits and conducting scientific surveys of adult material, I feel I deserve this.

Hate to do a third post in a row but this guinness is lowering my inhibitions and my dog is barking (the latter of which is entirely irrelevant but utterly true).

While looking for the above I found something quite funny. A bunch of brits arguing over which irish university is the best!

http://www.uk-learning.net/t47787.html

It's great.. They haven't a clue!

"I couldn't say for sure that Trinity (Dublin) is regarded as highly as, say Galway, nowadays."

wtf!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

There doesn't need to be a survey. Trinity is not the best university, it is the ONLY university in the country.

apexaviour wrote:

While looking for the above I found something quite funny. A bunch of brits arguing over which irish university is the best!

http://www.uk-learning.net/t47787.html

It's great.. They haven't a clue!

"I couldn't say for sure that Trinity (Dublin) is regarded as highly as, say Galway, nowadays."

wtf!?

That's a funny thread alright. Good to see Ecksor debating so well. Have to say (maybe it my nationalistic bias) that i don't really rate certain A level subjects...i mean if i had been able to study my three fav subjects i would have gotton high Bs-As. I know the A level supposed to be tougher course but English Irish and Maths (especially) on the LC really take up a huge amount of time. I for one never found A level Geography any tougher than the LC....

p

There doesn't need to be a survey. Trinity is not the best university, it is the ONLY university in the country.

Really?! Is UCD not a uni, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

that was a fantastic thread - I kept reading out bits to the other guys in the office.

yeah peop's i know all scored extreemly highly in it, being able to take 3 maths/physics subjects sure i'd nearly have gone north to do that...would have made life so much easier/more interesting than the lc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Really?! Is UCD not a uni, no?

Of course not.

Ditto.. Irish messed me up points wise doin pass n all.. English not so much but if it had been a sci-maths subj I reckon I'da done better. (french was obviously my 7th subj).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

*yawn*

Of course not.

oh ok sorry lol, the whole UNIVERSITY college dublin thing threw me! :eek:

why is this a bad post? im sorry but i didnt know that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement