Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU levy

Options
  • 11-09-2004 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

ok i just got a letter bout the payment of fees,
    Im getting a grant so i dont have to pay reg fees,
    but when do i pay the 8 euro su levy,do i use the bank giro , or wait till i start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

still a bank grio :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

uary wrote:
    ok i just letter bout the payment of fees,
    Im getting a grant so i dont have to pay reg fees,
    but when do i pay the 8 euro su levy,do i use the bank giro , or wait till i start?
    I have the same question. I emailed the Treasurer's office and haven't got a response so if I get one I'll post but if you find out sould you post aswell or if anyone knows post please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You pay the SU levy with the bank giro, you keep the bit they tear off (make sure it's stamped) and you show it at registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

i got all my stuff too. unfortunately i dont get a grant!

by paying the su levy does that mean ur in the su? im confused or do u hav to join during freshers week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Its the Students Union of Ireland as opposed to the actual college SU, or so is my understanding of it RuggerChick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Yeah I think it's the The Union of Students Ireland (USI)
    You pay the SU levy with the bank giro, you keep the bit they tear off (make sure it's stamped) and you show it at registration.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah stupid levy, ~700 odd people for the vote turn out and apparently a 6:1 ratio to increase the levy this yr......

5euro goes to USI and rest to the tcd su....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

When Trinity reaffilated to USI back in 2001, the then referendum called for a levy to be charged to cover the cost of participation (affiliation fees, cost of going to congress etc.). Last year a referendum was held to increase this levy to €8 as USI is in deep financial trouble and had to raise its fees.

You do not have to pay this levy. After we failed to prevent the original reaffiliation, a number of law students threatened the College with legal action if they were forced to pay the levy in order to register. Their challenge lay in the constitution's guarantee of freedom of association. The Treasurer's Office issued them with a letter saying that they were free to register without paying the levy. In the end very few availed of this option, mainly due to the lack of publicity and a general sense of it's not that much.

On a separate note - the referendum last year was probably invalid as the SU advocated a 'Yes' vote initially in violation of their own election rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MacXP_Irl

thats nothing, for four years I'd to pay an extra £50 for a supposed new underground sports hall in westland row near Goldsmith that never materialised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

MacXP_Irl wrote:
    thats nothing, for four years I'd to pay an extra £50 for a supposed new underground sports hall in westland row near Goldsmith that never materialised!

Me too - and remember that we were promised that on its completion we'd be given membership for life. Not much chance of that now - but at least planning has been approved for the latest redesign so they should be starting soon, maybe when the new INS building is finished in October.

• Advertisement
Advertisement