Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Course

Options
  • 10-09-2004 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Recently I got a letter from the Admissions office.
    I put in for a request to transfer from:
    TSM Econonomics & Sociology (both BESS dept.)
    to
    BESS

The reason being that I would have more choice (TSM I don't get any till 4th yr) and also that I could take some Political Science courses and possibly a cool geography course in planning. Ultamitly I would have the same degree in Economics as I plan to drop Sociology at the end of 3rd year anyway. But by being in BESS proper I would have alot more freedom.
    The thing is a bloody hate sociology but did it as I was informed that there was a large political science element. My TSM course was 50% Economics, 25% Political Science, 25% Sociology.. But from now on there is no more course in Political Science in 2,3,4th years of sociology...

I would have been moving from 1st year TSM into 2nd year BESS if i got the transfer but am now stuck in TSM. Its done often but the new BESS Dean vetoed it... GRRR...
    I have decided to appeal this decision directly(against the advice of my tutor). I'm determined to get in but don't want to blow people up in the process. Any advice would be helpful about what to put in the letter.
    Some details I should probably mention:
    My grades were not amazing( II.2 average)
    I'm a Student with Disabilities
    I work for the Disability Services also
    I won a Bursry award for rooms on campus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Are you sure it was actually rejected by this new Dean?
    In transferring from TP to maths last year the admissions office told me that the maths dept rejected my transfer. Which of course was a complete shock. Went into the maths dept, asked about it, and was told they never recieved the request or rejected anything of the sort. A few emails later to the admissions office(which weren't replied to) from the maths dept seemed to get me magically moved over.... go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Your best bet might be to go into the Education Officer in the SU - that's what he's there for...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

First of all you should know what course options you have or will have for each year so that politics spiel mightn't be of any use to you.

Why does your tutor think you shouldn't appeal?
    I switched course, back in the day, and my tutor was fully supportive and always gave me sound advice. They've done this before so he must have his reasons for saying you shouldn't appeal.

Have you had a chat with the head of the BESS department? When I was switching I chatted to my old dept head and my new one. Ok I went back to first year but it was neccessary.

Have students who have done this previously had problems with the course content having done a different year 1? This might explain the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Imposter wrote:
    I switched course, back in the day, and my tutor was fully supportive and always gave me sound advice.

I'm afraid they arn't all that helpfull, mine's woefull, talked to him twice, wasn't any use in the world, was more interested in trying to get the paperwork through before his holiday than anything else....not that he really did anything then even. Told me to go get the form fill it out and get his signature, so effectively all he did for me was sign a piece of paper, heck he even told me the wrong place to get the form :/

Advertisement