Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gays harrassed @ gay club in Galwy

Options
  • 10-09-2004 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this should be displayed here.
    I recieved this letter via email from an ovbiously upset and hurt member of the campaign and though it only right to inform you all about, what would appear to be very wrong and inhumane actions taking place at 'Tribes Nightclub' in Galway.

My official response will be posted once complete, pending legal advice.

Quote:

I am sending this email, on behalf of PLUTO NUI Galway's LGBT society,
    To inform anyone who is willing to listen about the behaviour exhibited by
    the bouncers of Tribes nightclub. Tribes is the only regular gay club
    we have here in Galway and a number of us have been consistently disgusted
    by the treatment we have received at the hands of the door staff. To
    illustrate my point I am going to list a number of examples of the
    homophobic comments, unnessecary force used to expel people from the
    club,and over-reactions to complaints made by some of my friends.

1. In April, one of the bouncers mentioned in passing to a straight
    female friend of mine who was with us that night that, 'I can't fcuk ing stand gaypeople. I just want them out of here.'

2. On March 16th, my housemate was removed from the premises for no
    apparent reason. His wrist was twisted behind his back and he was
    literally thrown onto the pavement outside the club.

3. In July, another guy was threatened while standing outside the club,
    with again no explanation, by several of the door staff. He was told
    that they were 'going to finish work and kick the poo out of him.'

4. Finally, last night (August 27th) on the first Pride party, my
    housemate was again removed by force. He was told that he couldn't
    enter a certain area of the club as they were trying to clear it, he replied 'fine' turned and hastily left his glass on the table. He was then
    grabbed by the neck by one of the bouncers, another held his legs, and two more joined to drag him from the club that was still half full. Four
    bouncers to remove one guy of small build from the premises was completely
    ridiculous, especially as he was in no way being aggressive nor was he
    refusing to leave. There were a large number of witnesses, both friends
    and independent, who commented on and were shocked by the brutal force
    used. Two more of our friends attempted to complain about the incident
    and they were told that they were now barred from the club.

On behalf of the entire PLUTO committees of last year and this year, I
    Am writing in order to make people aware of the fact that the only gay
    nightclub in this city is staffed by a number of bouncers who display
    extreme homophobia, thus making this club not very gay friendly. The
    point of this email is to spread the word...

Michelle Hensey, Co-Auditor PLUTO Soc for the previous college year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It sounds like the management are homophobic too if someone was banned for making a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

get every member of your LGB society to write to the club in question.
    Or two letters.
    Next time someone is assaulted call the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I agree, how dare they kick out a gay person, who was being all sweet and innocent, cause as we all know, to be gay is to be all gentle and nice and not hurt a fly. I don't really see anything that would suggest he was kicked out because he was gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

it sounds like that club shouldn't be given your money.

However it's worth noting that alot of clubs in Galway have bouncers with exactly the same attitude to all their patrons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Boston wrote:
    I agree, how dare they kick out a gay person, who was being all sweet and innocent, cause as we all know, to be gay is to be all gentle and nice and not hurt a fly. I don't really see anything that would suggest he was kicked out because he was gay.
    Point 1 - the bouncer's comments imply a strong inherent homophobia. Now the trouble is showing that this led to their actions in kicking people out. Unless there's been actual remarks made at the time they might have a hard time making a case for homophobia rather than just aggressive tactics (whose reason ing is hard to prove). It sounds suspiciously aggresive to me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ixoy wrote:
    Point 1 - the bouncer's comments imply a strong inherent homophobia. Now the trouble is showing that this led to their actions in kicking people out. Unless there's been actual remarks made at the time they might have a hard time making a case for homophobia rather than just aggressive tactics (whose reason ing is hard to prove). It sounds suspiciously aggresive to me...

Point 1 - The bouncer's comment was made on a different night, mightn't even be the same bouncer involved this time around.
    Point 2 - Allot of people are homophobic, very few go around kicking the ****e out of people because of it.
    Point 3 - It's a gay bar, i.e. the bouncers would be well used to dealing with gays, so why the hell did this one guys piss them off so much and not someone else.
    Point 4 - The guy was kicked out, the bouncer on another night probably recognized him and asked him(maybe aggressively) to get the hell out, as he was barred.
    Point 5 - It does seem suspiciously aggressive. Maybe the guy was minding his business, and all the bouncers where picking on him just because their all psychos and he's unlucky, or maybe he got abite lippy with a bouncer who had had a long day and who over reacted.
    Point 6 - No where does it say he was kicked out for kissing another guy, or being abite camp, or showing any signs of being gay. The writer is expecting us to believe he was booted out for being a bloke, keeping himself to himself in a pub, which just happened to be a gay bar.

Now, it not that I don't believe this happened, it's just that this is one source and one story. Of course it going to make him out to be an angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I don't think the actions displayed by the bouncers could be construed as homophobic - assholish, aggressive, personally vindictive yes but homophobic no

I'd say wait until you have more concrete evidence. Homophobia is a brutish trait and should be combated; but the above evidence, even the personal qoute of the bouncer, is flimsy at best - otherwise you could find yourself dressed up as the boy who cried wolf... and when a real incident happens, you might find yourself with a less steady platform to complain from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

As much as I'd like to scream homophobia and trash the nightclub in question - I'd have to be cautious and agree with Boston.

This 'innocent man of small build' thing simply doesn't wash with me - I mean, if people were being tossed out for being gay, surely the nightclub just wouldn't hold such nights?

<Isn't drug use common in nightclubs? - there are other reasons why this same person of that group of friends may have been 'unfairly' picked on. It sounds to me as though he was fingered (heh...) for previous misdemeanors. That's just my point of view though!)

Advertisement