Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which c&c?

Options
  • 09-09-2004 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm thinking about buying a command and conquer for the pc. Which c&c would you recommend as being the best out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The first C&C was the best i think,but the gfx now would make you sick,some ppl still play red alert2 aswell, C&C generals with zero hour expansion pack is ok tho the single player is a bit $hit....

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

C&C Generals is actually pretty good, but the single player is rather short.

As far as strategy games go, I'd recommend Warcraft 3 sooner, but Generals is a pretty safe bet. Avoid Tiberian Sun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Red Alert 2 is by far the best of the command and conquer series but its looking a wee bit dated at this stage. I'd recommend Generals good fun and now plenty of mods to keep u occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I think ra2 is better in single player mode, try black eagle mod, and its got great story , hi res video sequences interlinked with each level which tell a genuine thrilling story as the reds seek to overrun the us,like red dawn,.80s film da,its got real twists and turns in the plot ,cos theres a struggle between factions and physic weapons versus tanks infantry ,nuetralises the old rts tank rush strategy, they can turn ur own troops against u with mindcontrol which means the strategic challenge is more complex than generals ,its got great graphics, and mods and multiplayer modes and also a revenge yuri expansion pack wiyh new weapons and tactics.the video ,story is interleaved in a very subtle way ,cinematic ,almost like a finalfantasy game ,its the best rts i have every played ,upto the standard of riseof nations and each level has different challenges with real world locations like paris ,newyork.its got a great range of weapons without getting overly technical ,or complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i like ra2 yuris revenge i thinks its good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

red alert 2 kicks major ass. the story is great. good challenge too. tanya really rocks. shes hot too

riberian sun isnt as bad as it's made out to be. i love the mammoth mk2

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I just bought RA2 today. Need to get the practise in before i go back to college...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Origional Red Alert is an amasing game, and still plays well these days, RA2 wasnt too bad, could have been better, Tiberium Sun doesnt exsist and was never made, Generals is a very good game, but it just doesnt feel like a C&C game. The origional C&C game was also class, but lack of any kind of Skirmish mode was its downfall IMO, but the campaigns were truely excellent, way ahead of its time. Id say go for either RA, C&C, or Generals the best of the lot I think, in that order.

I just bought RA2 today. Need to get the practise in before i go back to college...

practice for what?

and girls cant play c&c ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Pugsley wrote:
    Tiberium Sun doesnt exsist and was never made,

tiberium sun was an amazing game multiplayer imho, I used to have some great battles on westwood online with the game...

Firestorm pack made good additions...

single player it was dull and boring, map layouts were dull and boring and people instanly dissmised NOD tanks but i really got into the multiplayer side of it and it can be very rewarding

shogun and medievil total war are great jems in the strategy department but mostly I've stuck with Z2 steel soldiers and Starcraft vanilla for my multiplayer fun nowadays...

as for the best RA game, imho RA1 with the addon packs are above and beyond, great story, some great addon packs (aftermath and retalliation iirc), if you spot the full pack, grab it its the most rewarding of the lot and keep you busy for long time, RA2 is very cool but short in comparrison, Generals is best for multiplayer, the original is very cool and worth getting to see how the story started, Tiberium Sun is only good on multiplayer, Emporer Battle for Dune is a huge single player game, not great multiplayer but worth it for the 3 story lines...the other dune games are not worth it unless you are a huge Hubert fan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

evad_lhorg wrote:
    practice for what?

and girls cant play c&c ;)
    *shakes fist* I'll play c&c if I want!
    RA2 is what's played in G15 in science in UCD.

only jokin with ya.

Searrard: the red alert add ons were after math and counter-strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

I wouldn't recommend anyone generals - the engine is pretty, but the SP is boring and the MP furtrating to play with terrible pathfinding. Plus I think the whole theme is rather tasteless; suicide arabs? urgh.
    Ra2 is cheesy fun, nicely balanced, but I never thought that online games in Yuri were that balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Red Alert 2 was realy really good because it was so simple yet really tactical...Generals is ok but gets boring quite fast, v.nice graphics and some really cool weapons though.

Well net games in RA2 became races to get the most amount of tanks out in less than 5 minutes. the average game length when I was playing(about 500 games a month) was 2-3 minutes. So it's not _that_ bullet proof;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Tbh each C&C game has its strong and weak points. The original was excellent tho (many of them do now) looks dated.
    Red Alert is probably the one i played most. Personaly my fav single player one tho i had loads of playstation link up games :D

Tiberian Sun was the game that pulled me online. Excellent single player and amazing multiplayer (imo). So many different ways to attack and defend. Played it so much i ended up being top 50 in the world (tho thats blowing my own trumpet, toot too ;) ). Red alert2....huge let down for me after ts (as was firestorm). Both still highly playable but TS was just the daddy for me.

Generals (made by EA instead of westwood :( ) changed everything. Instead of gatherers u had fixed supply points and dozers instead oif just build and place. I enjoyed it but wasnt anywhere near what id hoped (especially singleplayer). Zero Hour added a lot of new tactics to the game and really improved on the multiplayer tho singleplayer was still pants. Too easy and too much like a propaganda tool (u invade baghdad on the first mission and can win it within minutes of starting).

As you cans ee from my post and the posts of all the others its really a personal choice to which you like, love and hate. That said im really looking forward to the new one (well a heavily rebuilt cnc engine) which bing you back to the lord of the rings. You do all the battles that were done by each side. Theres even a what if scenario as you battle as the dark lord and try to expand your empire :)

Whatever you choose tho you'll know it will be class :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I see someone merntioning mods for generals?
    What mods are there for it?

Best one I have seen about would be 'The Capellan Soloution', its a mod set in the Battletech universe (mech warrior, mech commander), check out their webby here:
    http://www.battletechmodproductions.com/btgenerals/

There's also the obligatory ww2 mod, called blitzkrieg which is popular enough.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sorry about my ignorance, but I haven't downloaded these yet
    are they mods for online play and or jkust c&c generals or the zero hours mod?
    or solo/skirmish ? anddo they add tanks/iniftrany ?

• Advertisement

You can play it online, but you have to find another player with the same MOD, theres a feature on the website that enables you to find other players server I think. But theres a skirmish function, and their working on a campaign currently, the skirmish mode is quite good too actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Theres also a mod being created that will use european generals and forces.
    Its surprisngly called CnC Europe.
    More here

If done properly (and they its been a work i progress for a long time now) it could be well wicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Original C&C was magnificent. RA was very good as well but Westwood/EA didn't do anything interesting with the genre after that.

Give me Total Annihilation any day. **** singleplayer like most RTS games but the multiplayer is digital heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

By far the best MOD for C&C Zero Hour I have found is Command & Conquer: Generals Zero Hour Reborn Rise to Power mod.

you can get it

here

It really improve the gameplay and also the AI of the enemy in skirmish and multiplayer. But if yo want to play against more than three Hard enemies, I would recommend to use a dedicated server for it, as the AI modifications really suck on performance.

but go ahead and give it a try it's worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

origional c&c is the only way to go :D

Advertisement