Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Development Course for gay/bi men

Options
  • 09-09-2004 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

The Personal Development Course for Gay & Bi-sexual Men

Gay Men’s Health Project Dublin

We hope that this leaflet will provide you with helpful information on the Personal Development Course

What is the personal Development Course?
    The personal development course (PDC) is an 8-week course of weekly workshops. It is run by the Gay Men’s Health Project (GMHP) and is free of charge. The overall aim of the course is to help you become more aware of yourself and improve your self-esteem and assertiveness. You’ll also get a chance to meet new people and expand your social network. A maximum of 20 men can participate in each PDC.
    Doing the course gives you the opportunity to chat to guys of all ages in a comfortable, relaxed environment. You’ll also learn about practical ways of dealing with day to-day situations. The course is very structured and covers the following topics:
    Week 1 Introduction to personal development
    Week 2 Assertiveness
    Week 3 Assertiveness
    Week 4 Positive Thinking
    Week 5 Positive Thinking
    Week 6 Self-esteem
    Week 7 Self-esteem
    Week 8 Wrap-up and introduction to PDN

History of the PDC
    The personal development course was established by the GMHP in 2000. Since then we have been running 4 courses every year and they have been a great success. The course has been developed over time so that it best meets the personal development needs of gay and bi-sexual men. GMHP is happy to have the PDC as a core part of its services for gay and bisexual men.

When does the PDC run?

The course is run on Tuesday evenings (7 – 9.15pm) for 8 weeks. It takes place 4 times a year, with courses beginning in January, March, May and September. Prior booking is essential to secure your place.

How do I get on the PDC?
    Contact GMHP outreach team on 01-8734952 or email us at gmhpoutreach@eircom.net to book your place. Each course is filled on a first come first served basis. No new people can join after the first week.

Where does the PDC take place?
    In Outhouse, the community centre for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people at 105 Capel Street, Dublin 1.

Why personal development?
    Personal development is all about making positive changes in your life and improving your health and well-being. In the supportive environment of the PDC, you can become more aware of the changes you would like to make in your life. Personal development can be both fun and challenging and helps you learn coping skills for everyday situations.

If you give us a call we will be happy to chat to you about the course and answer any questions you may have

Personal Development Network

Anyone who completes the PDC is entitled to become part of the personal development network (PDN). It provides follow-on support through monthly workshops on a variety of topics, including:
    · Flirting skills
    · Sexual assertiveness
    · Safer sex
    · Challenging internalised homophobia
    · Goal-setting and planning skills
    · Negative thinking
    · Self-esteem
    The PDN also gives you the chance to meet participants of other PDCs and further extend your social network.

some quotes from the course evaluation forms

“Helped me understand who I am”

“It gave me the opportunity to think about and deal with issues I may have put off for years”

“I am so happy I did this course”

“Very helpful in everyday situations in my personal life”

“It made me feel more of an equal in this world and I met a really nice bunch of guys”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would highly reccomend these courses to everyone, I got so much from the one I completed last year

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement