Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24h College

Options
  • 08-09-2004 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this in light of the fact that we have 24h Computer rooms we are supposed to be getting a 24h reading room etc but non-residents only have access to campus until 12midnight.

Now I hear you say that "Why in the name of all the is holy in the land of palistine would i want to go onto campus at 2am" we'll when you have an essay due the next day and all your mates are going out and you want to too you'd wish that the campus was open for you to use through the night so you could use it after the pubs/clubs shut.

Also i think this unfairly discriminates against non-residents. Residents are getting an extra leg up and i think that it's time this ended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Don't tell anyone but get the code to the Mathsoc door. Voila 24hr access.*

*Unless said door has been changed or code is now actually a secret

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

it was changed towards the end of last year but the new code is well known once again, only a matter of time before the lock is changed on it imo.

And also the door has nothing to do with the mathsoc, heck its not even in the maths dept. Its in the centre for women's studies, just the way out is via the maths dept for most people....

...Sooner the better keep those smelly engineers and comp sci people out of the dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I'd be very interested in hearing so more about this so if anyone would like to enlighten me further PM is your friend.

just a note:
    offical policy is that there is no undergraduate access via westland row, so security might kick u out if they are around(only happens around exam time when they are feeling evil)

Triceradon wrote:
    just a note:
    offical policy is that there is no undergraduate access via westland row, so security might kick u out if they are around(only happens around exam time when they are feeling evil)
    I assume that the westland row entrance you speak of is the "Mathsoc" door and if so i thought as much that undergrads couldn't use it. But I'm sick of call mates living on campus to come and let me in at 3am so i can finnish an essay because sometimes of have to beg for it.

I think that the college should rethink its 12 midnight rule in the interests of fairness.

• Advertisement

as pointed out above, its not the 'mathsoc' door, its the 'centre for womens studies door' or no. 20 westland row....what ever u like...... and well ye'll have to find someone who know's it, don't need it meself so i'm no use.

And also there is more than that one door on westland row, all the other doors are staff only aswell tho.

And that rule applies for entry to the college for security reasons and i'd agree with it, be impossible to police the interior at night if u had random people walking in all the time. You can come in before it closes and start your essay then, security won't kick ye out if yer working....

Triceradon wrote:
    And that rule applies for entry to the college for security reasons and i'd agree with it, be impossible to police the interior at night if u had random people walking in all the time.
    We'll I wasn;t really advocating random people just a check in system for students through front arch to stop them bringing loads of people in.
    You can come in before it closes and start your essay then, security won't kick ye out if yer working....
    Well that's what i was trying to avoid I wanted to go in after the clubs etc.

u wanted to go in to write an essay after being out on the piss?

and erm as much as i trust my fellow students, i still don't want random ones walking near me in the dark, random people can be students too, you'd have to proform some sorta tracking with people signing in and what not, requiring more manpower to police them also....don't see it happening....

Triceradon wrote:
    u wanted to go in to write an essay after being out on the piss?
    Well seeing as I don't drink I was reasonably compes mentos (sp?)
    you'd have to proform some sorta tracking with people signing in and what not, requiring more manpower to police them also....
    Surly they could use the swipw cards and a computer system.
    don't see it happening
    Perhaps your right

hrm swipe card system around college barely works as it is, so i doubt it has that kinda tracking setup... :/

• Advertisement

Yeah but I was talking about installing a new system at the front arch just a laptop and card reader. Sure Schools are using them now to keep track of students. I know of several schools now that track the coming and going of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't see it happening either to tell you the truth. I can only see more computer breakdowns occurring as people come in half pissed and try to put a pop tart in the cd drive

LOL, Perhaps you're right but as far as I know UCD has 24h via stillorgan do they have these peoblems also they have a much larger area to police.

its a much larger college and due to its sheer size i don't thing it has a choice really......
    also tcd is inner city, much more likely to have random dunk people trying to get in...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Non-residents aren't allowed in for a variety of reasons, all of them good, such as the fact that it's easier for security to keep out thieves and rapists and like if there aren't a lot of people wandering around campus at night. Also, people in Trinity after twelve have a nasty habit of being loud when the residents are trying to sleep. It echoes a lot, which is very frustrating especially if you have an early start in the morning and you already feel like crap. And finally, if you're trying to write an essay due the next day after having been out, you might as well write it on a napkin while sitting next to Molly Malone - it won't make that much difference to the ****ty grade you're going to get.

strawberry wrote:
    Non-residents aren't allowed in for a variety of reasons, all of them good, such as the fact that it's easier for security to keep out thieves and rapists and like if there aren't a lot of people wandering around campus at night.
    I don't think an awful lot of rapists would check in using their card
    Also, people in Trinity after twelve have a nasty habit of being loud when the residents are trying to sleep. It echoes a lot, which is very frustrating especially if you have an early start in the morning and you already feel like crap.
    Fair point
    And finally, if you're trying to write an essay due the next day after having been out, you might as well write it on a napkin while sitting next to Molly Malone - it won't make that much difference to the ****ty grade you're going to get.
    I've written well edited some of my best essays at 4am it's a case of different stroke for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 guwh

I don't think that it would be that difficult to police, nor would it require much extra manpower. The existing system for residents to enter after 12 is to knock on the gate at front arch, show your ID and room key.

If non-residents could simply knock at the gate, and show their ID, the guards could let them in. To avoid the drunken problem, they could simply act like night club bouncers and refuse visibly drunk students (or staff!)

As for policing the campus itself... There is always a noticible presence of security in college, 24hrs a day as it is. I think the present cover would be sufficient.

It should at least be introduced on a trial basis.

how about the noise aspect, its quite valid, ye can hear anything around college at nite.

and ummm i'm not sure security would want to be refusing staff, nor do we possibly have the legaleze setup for doing it.

I doubt without 24 library you'll ever see it, and considering library hours are being cut back that seems unlikely....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 guwh

There is a 24h reading room on the ground floor of the Ussher library. It is set up, with a swipe card reader outside, but has yet to be opened.

I don't think noise would be a huge issue. Most TCD accomodation is near enough to the street anyway, and it's a noisy as it gets out there.

As I say, so long as security were screening those entering the campus, and refusing those drunk students, there shouldn't be any major problems.

A trial period might not be a bad idea??

guwh wrote:
    There is a 24h reading room on the ground floor of the Ussher library. It is set up, with a swipe card reader outside, but has yet to be opened.

I don't think noise would be a huge issue. Most TCD accomodation is near enough to the street anyway, and it's a noisy as it gets out there.

As I say, so long as security were screening those entering the campus, and refusing those drunk students, there shouldn't be any major problems.

A trial period might not be a bad idea??
    I'd agree with you on this guwh

• Advertisement

i doubt it'd happen, but ye could try get to get the SU to campain yer cause.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

seriously the noise level is far higher than you'd think. Noise really travels around front square esp.

<aside>Its worse during the summer with the bloody american tourists hanging around outside doors in front square at night. maybe its just the accents but i definitely think they tend to be louder and don't really care about the exams studying thing. </aside>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

the only time you will use the huts is when a security guard asks you why your on campus at 3 in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Here, if you have an essay due the next day how likely is it that you're going to be going out to a pub before you go do your essay.
    Theres no real need for this, its just it would be kinda cool

obviously some people do....different strokes for different folkes...
    ya know we'd never use it if we had it, would be somewhere to attempt to crash after a nite on the piss at best ;) -- god knows the mathsoc couch has seen a fair few people crash there in its day, gets locked at nite now sometimes...

Advertisement