Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps2 Online

Options
  • 08-09-2004 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

This might be a stupid question but can you play ps2 online in ireland and can you play american games online over here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Ye you can play with your PS2 online. You need to have broadband and get the PS2 Network Adapter
    http://www.shopireland.ie/games/detail/B00003E37F/PS2-Network-Adaptor/

There isn't any subscription fee for Playstation Online, the only exception at the moment is online persistant games like Everquest and Final Fantasy XI

I highly recommend getting a headset for communicating online. Afaik you can use most standard USB headsets otherwise you should buy it packaged with a game; ala Socom, as it will be cheaper that way.

here's a list of some of the games you can play online that I got from here - http://ie.playstation.com/user/forums.jhtml
    War & Shoot 'Em Ups

Out Now:
    # Medal of Honor: Rising Sun >>
    # Risk Global Domination >>
    # Serious Sam: Next Encounter >>
    # SOCOM II U.S. Navy SEALs >>
    # SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs >>
    # Syphon Filter: Omega Strain >>
    # Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Jungle Storm >>
    # Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 >>
    # Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow >>
    # Warhammer 40,000 Fire Warrior >>
    # XIII >>

Coming Soon:
    # Killzone [November 2004] >>
    # Star Wars Battlefront [September 2004] >>

Driving, Racing and Crash 'Em Ups

Out Now:
    # Destruction Derby Arenas >>
    # Formula 1 2004 >>
    # Hardware Online Arena >>
    # Midnight Club II >>
    # MTX: Mototrax >>
    # Need for Speed Underground >>
    # Twisted Metal Black Online >>

Coming Soon:
    # Burnout 3: Takedown [10 September 2004] >>
    # Colin McRae 2005 [24 September 2004] >>
    # Gran Turismo 4 [Q4 2004] >>
    # Juiced [September 2004] >>
    # TOCA Race Driver 2 [October 2004] >>
    # WRC 4 [November 2004]

Sport

Out Now:
    # FIFA Football 2004 >>
    # NHL 2K3 >>
    # NHL Hitz Pro >>
    # SSX 3 >>
    # This is Football 2004 >>
    # Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 >>
    # Tony Hawk's Underground >>
    # World Championship Pool 2004 >>

Coming Soon:
    # NBA Ballers [10 September 2004]
    # LMA Manager 2005 [Q4 2004] >>
    # Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 [24 September 2004]
    # Tony Hawk's Underground 2 [Q4 2004]

Role-Playing Games

Out Now:
    # Champions of Norrath; Realms of Everquest >>
    # Everquest Online Adventures >>

Other

Out Now:
    # Amplitude >>
    # My Street >>
    # The Sims Bustin' Out >>

Coming Soon:
    # EyeToy: Chat [24 September 2004] >>
    # Mortal Kombat: Deception [Q4 2004] >>
    # Ratchet & Clank 3 [Autumn 2004] >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think ill invest in an adapter in that case. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Dont you need a pc too? This may sound retarded, i just thought i remembered reading somewhere you had to have your ps2 hooked up to the broadband via a pc :confused:
    Tbh if youve gone as far as to get a BB line installed, you may aswell go the whole hog and get yourself a pc and play decent games online.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

i think you only need a PC if ur modem is USB only. If you connect using a standard Ethernet connection there's no real problems using a PS2 only

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Xbox heads need pcs to setup I hear - but I didnt need anything to setup playstion2 online (which is fantastic - splinter cell with the headset is sweet and I CANNOT WAIT for burnout 3 tomorrow!).

Also - to hell with fee-paying crap for games. Dont get me wrong I think the xbox graphics can be nice (I've a pc though so I dont really need one) but there is no way I am paying credit card subscription fees - to anyone for games. Die Microsoft, Die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You don't have to pay by credit card - you can go into the shop and buy your headset and yearly subscription for the price of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Play.com have the network adaptor for £17:99

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PS2&title=111516

Has anyone seen it for cheaper elsewhere?

Mmmm online Burnout 3

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Hmm - the box said major credit card required (this was the headset + 12 month subscription free pack) - don't you need a credit card to setup the account whether you pay for the 1st 12 months or not? and dont they automatically take fees from your credit card without asking once the 12months comes to an end?

Plus can you actually get the 12month subscription cards without buying xboxlive headset packages? If the answers to the questions are no, no and yes well then ill be buying an xbox I can tell ya.

Regarding cheap broadband adaptors - I've had mine about 3 months and I payed 15 euro - woot! The twisted metal pack which includes a BB adaptor is 29.99 and Game traded me 15 euro credit against twisted metal which I didnt want. So you can use that against whatever online ps2 game you want to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Deadwing wrote:
    Tbh if youve gone as far as to get a BB line installed, you may aswell go the whole hog and get yourself a pc and play decent games online.

I have a pc, i might aswell play the ps2 online too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

all we need now is cheap broadband in ireland

this country is a joke, but i'll refrain from ranting :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement