Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games running slower on new graphics card.

Options
  • 07-09-2004 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

hey,

recently decided that my old GF4 ti4200 wasn't going to cut it with the next wave of games so I went for a 9600XT.

only problem is, my current games aren't running as good as on the GF4, namely NFS:U, CoD, Halo[hadn't time to search or the threads], Toca RD2, even on the same settings.

my rig specs:
    P4 1.9
    512 pc 2100 DDR
    80 gig hd
    Sapphire Atlantis 256meg 9600XT with driver 6.14.10.6414.
    DX 9b

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Nvidia cards are generally better with dx8 games... just how much worse is the performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

noticeable.

a jerkiness in the games randomly where the GF was just smooth throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Is Agp-Fastwrite definaty on? Ya have to set it from inside the display settings aswell as the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Turning AGP fast writes OFF is generally better for ATI cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

driver 6.1......

Get the latest CATALYST drivers....4.8 was the latest one last time i checked.

use driver cleaner to get rid of the nvidia drivers alltogether! You can get the 4.8's and driver cleaner from guru3d.com

should be a noticeable improvement!!

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    It nearly doubles the 3D mark score on my card:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It might be due to you only having 512mb of ram. If i was to be using only 512mb i would find my games would also be jerking when playing. It coulb be that now you have a better card you have turned the detail up in all games ? When i do this i find it does take up more of my ram then when i run the game in low detail.

Well its something you should try and use task manager to find out how much ram you use during games "high peak". Then restart machine load game and set it to low detail and find whats your "High Peak" again. If at any stage the game uses more then 512mb of ram then you will be effect by jerking affect during game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Running 512MB of memory and dont really see many probs but it is running at 3200.....had 2100 memory before and had a few probs but was running on a Creative Geforce FX5600 Ultra card......

You prob need to change the setting and should have no probs then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Stephen wrote:

This is generaly true for ATI cards except the 9600, for some reason it gets a big boost from fast writes.

Games like COD should have no problem playing with 512mb ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

In relation to Call of Duty, BadCharlie's comments are correct.Setting all graphic options in the game to the "extra" level will cause jerkiness with ati cards.I'm using a 9700pro myself and no catalyst driver has ever sovled this issue with this game.So as BadCharlie said, reduce the graphic options a little.

Toca RD2 doesn't like anti-aliasing or antistropic-filtering so make sure these are set to "application preferance" in the control panel ;) .

Also, given that you have a 256mb card, go to your bios and set your agp aperture size to either 32 or 64.This will free up more of your system ram for the games which your card is currently using for storing textures.

You could try switching v.sync on or off in the games options menu.Also check your screen refresh rate in the control panel and make sure it's high enough.

Turning agp-fastwrite off has no effect on my pc, but give it a go anyway,ye never know ;) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My PC would continually crash in UT2004 and a couple of other games with fast writes enabled (9800 pro). Turned fast writes off, and its been stable ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

bus77 wrote:
    It nearly doubles the 3D mark score on my card:confused:

thats interesting

And very important for a 9000pro ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

Kaimera wrote:
    hey,

recently decided that my old GF4 ti4200 wasn't going to cut it with the next wave of games so I went for a 9600XT.

only problem is, my current games aren't running as good as on the GF4, namely NFS:U, CoD, Halo[hadn't time to search or the threads], Toca RD2, even on the same settings.

my rig specs:
    P4 1.9
    512 pc 2100 DDR
    80 gig hd
    Sapphire Atlantis 256meg 9600XT with driver 6.14.10.6414.
    DX 9b

any ideas?

depends on a lot of things... most importantly id say is that the ti4200 is not a dx9 card so playing games with the ti4200 that contains dx9 content would prolly run faster cos the card doesnt need to worry about the dx9 ****. Now u have a new card which is dx9 compliant BUT is still only a budget card and so it now has to do all the dx9 **** yur ti4200 never had to worry about.. hell im not even sure was the ti4200 even dx 8.1 compliant or was it just dx8 compliant???? and the games u mention above do have dx9 content

coupla that with a slow cpu and slow ram and not alot of ram in the first place isnt good.... essentially yur screwed :) u gotta love graphics...

Basica ideas above are good but i reckon u wont find a massive increase in performance IF ANY, but do try a few variations of drivers.... some work better than others in different games and i have heard about the fast write thing before for ati cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

Will 512mb ddr ram be enough, I just ordered my new computer, it should be plenty but you have all made me warey now :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

for what???? yur main pc? for playing games and ****??? whats the rest of yur specs??? whats yur operating system... I have a gig... its relatively cheap and what the hell y not? u can never have enuf ram... and if yur running winxp thats a complete memory hog... right now out of the one gig i have 330mb is taken up by XP and the only systray app i have going is zonealarm and me music player and serious samuriez (which lets me see whats being used in the first place)

I need to stop waffling... if yur using XP go with a gig of ram unless yur not really a pc gamer then 512 is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

512mb will do you for now but games are starting to require more and you will need to upgrade to 1gb soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

So far i have found that my games will only use a max of 900megs. Must games wont use 900megs but Like Rise Of Nations and even the new CS:s use 900megs or just about on my machine. So in another years time i say i will be getting games that will be using more then 1gig of ram.

Advertisement