Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead freezer

Options
  • 07-09-2004 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Our freezer died so we bought a new one last weekend. Now the old one is sitting in our garden and I want to dispose of it properly. I contacted Kildare CC and they told me that they don't arrange collections for white goods and that the only way to get rid of it is to bring it to Silliot Hill in Naas.

I was under the impression that CCs were obliged to collect white goods for safe disposal - am I wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's the old stealth taxes or polluter pays depending on your viewpoint.

In SDCC areas even when you pay when you bring the fridge to the centre.
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=57&deptid=5&pageno=38
    Electrical Goods (Television etc) €15.00 per item

Materials Accepted – Charge Applies*

1. Scrap Metal
    2. Cardboard
    3. Timber (not contaminated i.e. hinges to be removed etc).
    4. Green Waste
    5. Municipal Household waste
    6. Bulky Household Items (Furniture etc)
    7. Electrical Appliances/White Goods

*Materials recycled are indicated by bold text*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's the old stealth taxes or polluter pays depending on your viewpoint.

In SDCC areas even when you pay when you bring the fridge to the centre.
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=57&deptid=5&pageno=38

I don't really mind the polluter pays aspect. I'm not against bin charges per se - I am against the way they are applied in my area. I compost a lot of my waste and recycle everything else possible. As a result my bin is half empty every week but I pay the same rate as my neighbours who's bin is overflowing. Theoretically next year it will be a by collection/weight/volume charge which will be true polluter pays.

As for white goods though - Kildare CC told me that it would be around 20 to get rid of my freezer if I am able to bring it to Silliot Hill. If I'm not able to get it there what do I do with it? Leave hazardous materials lying around my garden? Also charging €20 to dispose of these things responsibly is basically charging people for being honest and considerate. It's not an incentive to do it. IMHO households should be allowed to dispose of such items free of charge to encourage people to dispose of them responsibly. The amount of white goods I can see from the train line in some areas is proof of some people's civic responsibility.

Advertisement