Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming rig upgrade

Options
  • 07-09-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

dunno if this is the best thread to post this but here goes...

My present gaming rig is a bit dated:
    a Dell 4800 with
    * P4 1.7MHz 200FSB
    * Motherboard 200MHz, 4AGP
    * 756MB DDR 200Mhz
    * Gainward GeForce FX5600 Ultra 256MB 333MHz (APG8) - a recent upgrade to buy me a little time ... ;)

Here my questions:
    * Should I get a full new rig at 800MHz bus speed (I kinda feel that the bus speed is the main bottleneck at present) or is there an interm solution.
    * Should I go to DELL or can anyone advise on a DIY approach - used to build and sell machines in the early 90's but that's a long time ago in IT terms (or any terms for that matter :D ) - i.e. does anyone know where I could find a full shopping list so that I don;t forget something.

Thanks - and hope it's not the wrong place.

The Duke : ))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Try here mate! better techie info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I would recommend alienware. ;)

Make sure you get an x800xt anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I would recommend alienware. ;)

Make sure you get an x800xt anyway

if you go alienware they will charge a very large amount of money especially if you get an x800xt ask the question in the computer forum, questions like this are loved over there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Stay away from dell for your next machine.

Your upgrade path will depend on how much money you are willing to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

grimloch wrote:
    if you go alienware they will charge a very large amount of money especially if you get an x800xt ask the question in the computer forum, questions like this are loved over there

Same I mentioned above! ask in computer forum!!! build ur own system!! never did it before and built one about year ago for a mate! sold Xbox and then built my own system now! its easier than you think!

Oh yeah never buy off Dell/Gateway....actually any company......work for one of the big IT companies and seriously the sh*t they stuff into there home PC's is unbelieveable....they aim for the market of first time home buyer who hasnt a clue!! so they put in second rate crap and charge you for the real stuff.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

thanks guys...

all the way to up intill '96 I used to build my own ... funny thing was that every time I built on I had two... cause I'd take all the intermediate upgrade from the old to the new... anyhow...

I haven't done it in years so am quite rustry.... but got the hunger again... thanks for the push ;)

Will check out the other forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i replied on the other forum lol

Advertisement