Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euclids 5th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

'solved' it?

If you could 'solve' the Parallel Postulate then we wouldn't have systems of geometry where the Parallel Postulate didn't hold that were just as consistent as Euclidean Geometry.

As for the article itself, Euclid never presented it as a theorem or conjecture, he presented it as an axiom. He drew criticism for not trying to prove it as a theorem.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

I hear you

I should have used to word 'prove' rather than 'solved' - mistake

The link above was all over the web last June and was just wondering if anyone had heard what had happened after he 'submitted his recently published book of proofs to science academies in France and Germany for verification'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That's the same thing in this context. I think it's baloney that some newspaper or two fell for.

Advertisement