Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Jazz tutor

Options
  • 06-09-2004 3:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a good Jazz Guitar tutor? There is nothing worse than going to a teacher, paying them for the standard 5 or 10 lessons in advance, and then realising that they are sh*t. Over the years I've delved into lessons 3 times, and all 3 teachers were disasterous in their own way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Have a look here for some online tips

http://www.jazzguitar.be/

To be honest, I don't think there are that many jazz tutors in this town who'd be worth talking to, though I could be wrong. IMO the quickest and best way you'll get anything together is to just try to find some like-minded musicians and just play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Thanks for the tip Doctor J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

No problem.

There are a few heads here, Lactating Shark, Fusion251, Baggio and even myself who are on the outside of Jazz looking in. Have a word with them, Shark and Fusion are guitarists who might be able to help you a bit more than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yep I'm a Jazz guitarist, I do a bit of teaching too, what you looking to learn? I'm based in the Dun Laoghaire area. Are you looking to transcribe some music or do ya want more theory based lessons?

Cheers,
    D

Oh yeah and for all you Jazz guitarists or other musicians out there lookin to learn some theory try Mark Levines Jazz Theory book, it's great and this is quite a good site too http://members.tripod.com/~johncomino/indx.htm

Cheers
    D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Lactating Shark

I'm definitely on the outside looking in when it comes to jazz. I've toyed with the idea of getting lessons but I'm worried it will be a waste of money, and also, I cant read music which I'm sure will be an impediment.
    I went to the first day of a jazz course in DIT Chatham st once, the teacher was Mike Nielsen (great guitarist) but he spent an hour teaching us how to count to four, and I just thought: No way, I want to learn how to play over changes, I'm already competent as a rhythm player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Shark, that is exactly the kind of situation I would love to avoid. Like yourself, I too can't read sheet music, and I desperately want to avoid that kind of tutelage. It always amazes me, particularly with the Piano, the amount of people who spent years and years getting a decent classical grade, and yet couldn't ad-lib a few simple chords if they weren't written down. I genuinely have nothing but the utmost respect for somebody who can play an entire Beethoven Symphony, but I think there is a fundamental flaw in the kind of teaching that would render that same person unable to satisfactorily vamp a few chords of a Christy Moore song at a party.

For me, the same applies to the Guitar. I am a reasonably efficient Rhythm guitarist. I am a pretty awful Lead Guitarist by anybodies standards, but I can adlib. I've done a bit of the groundwork, and am currently studying modal theory, so it's not like I shy away from the, shall we say, less appealing, studious side of Music. But I definately don't want to end up going to a Jazz teacher and suddenly find myself ambushed by Crotchets and Wavers, and Clefs and Staffs et al. Nor do I want to have a teacher who wants to teach me every single piece of music theory ever discovered.

Is there a good, honest practical approach? One that would discern between things that are vital, and less vital for a casual player (i.e. I don't gig). Or do I just sound like a Lazy ass bastard?

Fusion, I'd definately be interested in grabbing some lessons off you. Dun Laoghaire wouldn't be too bad for me. And no, I'm not looking to have anything transcribed. I'd be looking to get some theory lessons, and hopefully come away from a run of 10 or so lessons being able to play a little Jazz, rather than just being able to explain to my mates the theoretical intricacies of how to construct chords that they already knew how to play anyway.

So ya want to cheat then lol. That's cool I know how to teach cheating :) but unfortunatly in jazz you'll only get so far with that...all depends what ya want to do really...

Anyway.....Mike Neilson has taken me for a few lessons, I assure you after the counting stuff he's a great teacher!

Drop me a mail at futuremusicproductions@gmail.com and i'll sort some lessons.

Cheers
    D

Advertisement