Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lawn mower engine cutting out

Options
  • 06-09-2004 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the place, but it is a motor of sorts.
    GFs father cutting grass last week. Petrol lawn mower usually cuts out after 30 minutes vutting (it is a _big_ garden). Usual remedy is to remove spark plug, clean it and put it in the oven to dry out.
    Now AFAIK black soot on the plug means air/fuel mix is too rich which is either too much petrol or too little air. The mower had been serviced at the beginning of the summer. I believe the petrol is supposed to be removed each winter. It wasn't. Why should petrol be removed?

Any suggestions as to why an engine would cut out like this? Blocked carbs? How are carbs supposed to be cleaned?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

What type of engine is on the lawn mower is it a briggs and stratton or is it a Tecumsa(Fiat) if its a Briggs and stratton it sounds like the carb needs a new Diaghram if its a Fiat the carb will need a new Venturi you could try putting loads of carb cleaner straight into the carb.
    The reason to remove petrol for the winter is basicly petrol can go stale and you would be lucky to get the engine to start if it was in it that and there is plastics disolved in petrols tanks and they start to solidify in the eye of the venturi when the petrol goes stale so it get more restrictive till its blocked and no petrol can get through
    Pete
    ps. yea it sound like the engine is running rich they only have 1 mixture screw so they are easy to tune .

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Don't know the make, but I'll check it out later. I only remember it's a big yellow one ;)
    Will see if I can get some carb cleaner and perhaps a manual for mower when I know make + model.
    tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

a_ominous wrote:
    Why should petrol be removed?
    The petrol goes stale over the winter so when you fire the lawnmower up the next Spring/Summer, it prob wont start but if it does will be running on bad petrol which could potentially damage the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

peterk19 wrote:
    The reason to remove petrol for the winter is basicly petrol can go stale.... .
    Sorry missed that...anyways ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

You didn't mention the air filter, did you clean it?
    If its blocked up then your mixture will be rich

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Buy a new spark plug?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm going to leave this here for another day and if no one can help here I'll then boot this over to Gardening/DIY

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Have been told it's a Briggs & Stratton engine, so will see if I can clean or replace the diaphragm as Peter K suggested. Or get it thoroughly serviced.

New spark plug: been there. Works for a short while but that doesn't fix the problem, only treating a side-effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

If the spark plug is fouling then engine is worn out and burning oil unless it is a two stroke ingine in which case you need to change the type of two stroke mix you are using.

If it cuts out after a couple of minutes it might be water in the carb which might involve removing the tank and taking out the carb pick-ups and cleaning them or unscrewing the carb bowl to let the water drain away(dependent on model).

If it is due to ignition first thing to try is spark plug from another similar lawnmower engine and after that it might be that the electronic ignition is breaking down but this would be rare and probably covered by a multi-year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I know the Briggs and stratton engines its the Diaghram thats gone they use a vacum system to pump the fuel into the engine and not a gravity flow system so no bowl this happens because the Diaghram is only a thin plastic material that is constantly moving up and down eventually tearing and allows too much fuel and air into the engine they usually run okish for sometime till the hole gets too big
    Just bring it in somewhere for a sevice and ell them to pay partiular attentino to the diaghram in the carb
    Pete

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Most modern B&S engines have a bowl type carb unless it was a very cheap lawnmower in which case it will have an older type engine with diaphragm type carb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moved.

Mike.

Advertisement