Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of RPG character do you like playing?

Options
  • 06-09-2004 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'm a big fan of rangers and ranger types, especially in D&D, and I love playing rogue/assassin characters across the board. Rangers are just cool. They're not as tough as fighters, but they just have a lovely air of mystery about them because of the whole protector of nature thing. My favourite character of all time was/is an evil 300 point assassin in GURPS with slight cleric tendancies. I much prefer the challenge of sneaking around and making a few really lethal strikes instead of charging straight in swinging a big sword about...

That said, in the D&D Complete Warrior I found my current favourite, the hexblade, a cool combination of the hitpoints of a fighter, the spells(in very limited form) and saves of a sorceror (no charm person spells for ME! :D ) and the nifty ability to curse others and reduce all saves and to hit/damage. They're really quite nifty, but only if you stay in the class and don't multiclass.

So what are your thoughts? What kind of PC do you like playing? And why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

To be honest it depends on the game.

D&D I've always gone for the knight hero types.
    Vampire. I switch between young rebel types(Brujah) to traditional elder types(FoS).

Now that I think about it I've always played quite a range. Was a Ley line walker in rifts.

I guess I like to play all types but the only constant is that I change them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

hmm, I've found that I like to play a broad variety of characters. In D&D I like clerics (make that fanatical clerics), or rogues, in Vampire, I've always loved the character that lies in wait in the shadows listening for information, in general I usually play characters with an evil/non-good slant, it's more fun that way usually. I'm such a nice person in real life that I enjoy playing evil or twisted characters for a change when roleplaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Here's my current list of characters
    D&D - Rabid Snarling Badger, half orc monk

Riddle of Steel - Sir Kalten du Bas Tyra, Chivalric knight

Exalted - Kheldan , Eclipse Caste (going for a rogue type, kinda like Face from A-Team)

Star Wars - Ushio Entorah, Keldoran ambassador to Briggia

Generally I favour fighting types, but recently I've decided to go for the brains over brawn approach for a change. Rangers are one of my favourite classes though.

A lot of my character creation depends on the mood I'm in at the time. I once played a Thri-keen called Wh'd'fk'zt? (First thing the other players said when they saw it <G>), and had a plan to do a Dwarf ranger, based off Steve from the Animal Bothering Show. (You need that high poison resistance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

had a plan to do a Dwarf ranger, based off Steve from the Animal Bothering Show. (You need that high poison resistance)

"This Vrock is asleep and fully docile now, so I'm gonna give 'im a right kck inna fork..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Druid..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I've always loved playing tough-as-nails pyscopathic mad bastards with big swords to be honest! Used to play a dual-wielding ranger, a fighter cleric of war, and a barbarian/frenzied berserker in different dnd games. Definitely go for brawn over brain as its so much fun annoying the mages & rogues with "whuts that do if i press it?" *BOOM*

:D

I used to have a half orc barbarian called Morbo. He was raised as the pet of another player. Being thick is a lot of fun.

"Me eat bad man leg. It tasty. And horsey."

"Good boy, Morbo!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Can't beat the good old fashioned rogue. Backstabbing from the shadows is so much fun :D. Then again I'm also partial to the simple pleasures of the braindead 'walking sword' paladin type who only knows how to swing a sword.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Barbarian. I dont play Dungeons and dragons or any of that but in dark alliance and diablo and such i always liked the no messing twin big fookin axe ielding barbarian

Love the hackers too. When those mage's or wizards get a good bit of experience they can kick the **** out of you. Sucks. Always fun to kill them while they sleep. The horror of having to start all over again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 villafan

Anyone that can dual wield, every RPG needs dual wielding, its so unbelievably cool, so is having an animal companion, drizzt rocks....

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

sorceress, eg in diablo ... very nice outfit which is always important. And really good spells.
    Love being a wizard or priestess in nethack.

So what alignment does everyone go for. The Light or Dark side. Yes I have being playing Star Wars KOTOR. Mainly a goodie but play the occasional baddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

In RPGs, usually good, though not necessarily law abiding.

In my wargaming, almost always the forces of evil.

It usually depends on who's running the game. Mostly good or neutral, because it's more straightforward to just see a lich and wop him on the head until he dies. But right now I'm in a game that was designed from the ground up for evil players, and I can honestly say it's the most fun I've had in a long time. There's something about threatening innocent peasants for information with a two handed sword... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Chaotic neutral Thief (more a swashbuckler if possible) in DnD games. Either that or a Lawful fighter, again more dex based that strength.

Sci-fi: I usually go for the mercenary soldier type or space pirate :). favourite so far has been King Kon, an 8ft tall hulk in power armour equipped with a depleted uranium gattling gun. Subtlety was not a strong point.

Cthulhu: most memorable has been kevin Klein, a jewish ex lawyer turned private eye (killed a star vampire with an epee once :) ). Generally go for the same type.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

A bard, my fist ever RPG was the bards tale and I am a bard since then. A bit of sword swinging, a bit of casting/singing spells, a bit of healing and buffing, picking locks and disarming traps - Jack of all trades, lots of charisma and always a swing with the ladies...

Advertisement