Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 2

Options
  • 17-07-2000 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

just wondering have any of u got this game etc. I have and it is impossible to play a Realms game only an open game which means cheating is possible ...
    also we might get a game going.

Bullitt
    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I
    just squandered" - George Best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Just saw on Blues News that Diablo II is the fastest selling PC game ever (1 million in two weeks). Even I am considering investing in this now because if so many thousands of geeks across the pond can enjoy it so can I. Of course , one major problem is all the hardcore Lamer cheaters will be playing this game. These 'doods' will bring their 'super l33+ HA><OR skillz' to Diablo and to the **** poor Battle.Net servers and cheating will be rampant once again.

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

yes if you play 'open' battle.net games, anyone who has a hex editor can give themselves loads of everything.

diablo 2 has a closed 'realm' server for Europe where character info etc is stored on a secure server by Blizzard and supposedly cannot be hacked (never say never, as they say).

I've played quite a few realm games and havent noticed any overt cheaters anyway. Failing that, play with your mates or play singleplayer which is actually v good and has loads of replay value with 5 diff characters, randomn maps etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Cheating in Multiplayer now gets you banned from the B.Net servers.

Incidently items are already selling on eBay.

Also apprantly Blizzard haven't been able to handle the large amount of players and B.NET is forever crashing.

And... In order to deal with server load, B.NET kicks off the longest playing people on the server if someone new tries to log on while the server is full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    And... In order to deal with server load, B.NET kicks off the longest playing people on the server if someone new tries to log on while the server is full.

what? jasus theres a $hite idea if ever i heard one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

if some of you guys get it will yous be playing in the same game..
    i never played diablo online, but as far as i know something like 4 people play together...
    So couldnt we just have a private game and that way no cheaters?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its total pants.
    I expected way more. No depth. none whatsoever. Hack silly monsters to death, again and again, grab gold and weapons, go up in experience, plot only exists for you to go kill more hordes of stupid monsters. Yawn. Every stage of the game plays exactly the same way. Just with different monsters. Plot? Forget it. There is one but it serves no real purpose. I played about half way through and stopped. Bought Planscape Torment and have been addicted ever since.
    The absolutley astounding cinematic cutscenes are only there to make you forget what a shallow game it is. They are the best I have ever seen, I have to admit. But cutscenes do not maketh a game. If you disagree, you're mad in the head, vapid, shallow, a pleb and cant afford ISDN. Yes, I am drunk and opinionated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Bullitt

Ya max i'd have to agree with you there its very shallow indeed not much of an improvement on the first game at all i was very disappointed it wsa a bit of a rip off. I think i'll just finish it once on be done with it although i will give the hardcore game a shot might be good till i get killed. Also the cinematic scenes were good but sure what good are they ?

Bullitt
    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I
    just squandered" - George Best.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I checked old topics and didn't see anything on Planescape Torment. If you haven't played it, its excellent. A different kind of RPG. Emphasis is on story & plot rather than hack n' slay. Epic game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Carnage

this weekend, i spent 27.5 hours playing Diablo II, this is apporiximately 1/30th of the total gameplay, this means that there is aproximately 825 hours of gameplay total for this particular game (27.5 hours = half of the game with one of five character classes, and one of 3 skill settings, ie, to play the game completely, you would have to play through the game 3 times for each of the five character classes, 55 hours is the number of hours i estemate that it would take to finish the game once, so 55 x 5 = 275, 275 is the number of hours to play it through 5 times, multiplied by the number of skill settings (3) and there is 825 hours worth of gameplay, 27.5 is the most i can realistically play a game in one weekend while still getting all of my chores/responsibilities done, so therefore, to play this game completely will take me 30 weeks if i play 27.5 hours every week, assuming that from time to time, i may not be able to play every weekend, i'll add ten weeks to that for inaccuracy. that's 40/52 weeks in the year, if my math is right, that is 57.6% (30/52) of my weekends consumed by this one game.

if you don't like the game play, don't buy it, don't slag the game off because you don't understand what others see in it, obviously the simple hack and slash is what people like because as someone else said, it's the fastest selling game of all time. i played the original, and i think that this is great, not only has it stayed fairly true to the gaming style of the original, but monster variation is larger, there are more character classes, and item variation is better too, the cutscenes are brilliant, and tie in incredibly well with what happens in the game, but not only that, they tie in with what happened in the original. if you can't see the story in the game, then i pity you, because it's really good.

Cheers anyways smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by Maximilian:
    I checked old topics and didn't see anything on Planescape Torment. If you haven't played it, its excellent. A different kind of RPG. Emphasis is on story & plot rather than hack n' slay. Epic game though.
    You're confused wink.gif. Planescape Torment is a REAL rpg. Diablo 2 is not really an rpg. It's an action rpg where you get told where the enemy is then go hack tons of monsters and loot their corpses until you cleared the level.

Playing Torment at the moment, it rocks. Maybe someone should start a Planescape Torment thread.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 24-07-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭OmiOmi

errr... are they paying REAL money for that stuff?!?!? ARE THEY NUTS?!?!
    Anyway... Have you guys played a lot on b.net? Any lag? tell me about your experience

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Cheating in Multiplayer now gets you banned from the B.Net servers.

Incidently items are already selling on eBay.

Also apprantly Blizzard haven't been able to handle the large amount of players and B.NET is forever crashing.

Carnage you pity *me*? You actually worked out the frickin' gameplay hours!! Christ, you're argueing with a calculator. Honestly. Try playing something like Plansescape and tell me that D2 has even a fraction of the depth and story. D2 is shallow, its an objective fact. Sure, its fun to pick up and play for a while, but an rpg it is not, in my opinion. Why shouldn't I slag it off if I want to? Its fair comment. You like it, I don't. So what?

Well..I agree with Maximilian. Diablo2 is NOT a RPG... FF games are true RPG tho.
    Still.. I like Diablo2 a lot. Its a good action kind-of-rpg-game. FF games really own the place when it comes to good RPG games.

The fun thing of Diablo2 is to play together. My wife loves diablo games like diablo it self and darkstone. We have 2 comps at our place so we ussually play together. Its really fun to play multi then. You make your own story. Read the "books" (15 pages) of story behind diablo and every quest and it becoms better. It is what you want it to be. You can just start a char and click click click and kill Diablo. Or you can read about the char. start a char. learn about different skills and ways to make your char like you want him to be. Explore every quest real good and go and kill the lord of terror...... So lets just enjoy the game in the different ways we can

OmiOmi: nicely put man! smile.gif

Max: i didn't use a calculator to work that out atall... all in the head mate. I didn't post those statistics to argue man, just for the sakes of general interest, because i enjoy the game, and i'm interested to see how my stats stack up against others who've played the game.

evidently from you're first post there, "Its total pants." you were ready to abuse diablo II from the start anyways, i'm not interested in picking any bones with you or anyone else, you said how much you disliked the game, and i responded by saying how much i liked it.

go ahead and abuse it if you want, i'll not stop you, just don't abuse me because i like it.

Carnage, Do you play on b.net? If so.. how are the speeds. Where in Ireland do you live?

I'll get internet with NTL hopefully during September =D

Nah, i don't play B.net, don't have a phonejack withing 50 metres of my PC frown.gif the only way i canpost to boards is by slacking on the job at work.

Advertisement