Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tara Buddhist Centre

Options
  • 04-09-2004 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Howdy Folks,

Has anyone ever been on the 'Learn to meditate' course run by the Tara Buddhist Centre ? http://www.meditateinireland.com/htm/indextara.htm

There are classes starting from 13th of Sept and i was considering going along, would anyone here have enough information to review or rate the course ?

Many thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I Would love to join in but I just don’t have the time (yea I suppose I could make the time) I don’t know anyone who has gone and I would love to get some info as well on it.
    Suppose it's too late now to sing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Just getting back to you about the meditation classes. You can just drop in to any class.. no need to book a place.

The classes start the week beginning Sept 13, so say for example the Skylon Hotel class will be on Mon 13 Sept, the Holistic Sourcing Centre Class will be on Tues 14 Sept etc. All classes will be held every week.

Hope that answers your query.

Regards
    Tara Buddhist Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wow thanks so much for your help! Good stuff indeed and good to have, I hope I can put it to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oldflower

hi
    i think you should check out newkadempasuvivor, it is a site on yahoo for people who have left the N.K.T . tara centre is a NKTcentre . at the moment they are prostesting agents the Dalai Lama you can find them under the western shugden society

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

oldflower wrote: »
    hi
    i think you should check out newkadempasuvivor, it is a site on yahoo for people who have left the N.K.T . tara centre is a NKTcentre . at the moment they are prostesting agents the Dalai Lama you can find them under the western shugden society

Hi Oldflower and welcome. Have to be honest and say your post worries me, nothing personal here, since it holds a great potential to really cause damage to individuals. In Japanese Buddhism we have a word called "On****su (damn technology, you can guess the missing letters *s h i t*," which roughly translates as Slander. We deem it to be way up on the scale of 10 things not to do. My wife's family here contains individuals practicing 3 different sects of Buddhism. They are all happy to differing degrees and we as a family never get into debates about the differences. I too have had to experience what happens when a sects is led down a different path. Each to their own is a good stance to adopt. I would much rather concentrate on the commonalities than the differences between the sects. Far more enlightening, of much greater value too, IMHO. I believe that Buddhism is individualistic in nature, it has to be. We practice in our chosen groups to obtain knowledge, we may even move to different paths in our search, but at the end of the day, it always comes down to a one-on-one. I am an individual, I am responsible for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Protresting is a distraction! Why worry about others, Asia put it better than I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 timmyyyyy

does any body no of any buddists centres in co. waterford
    thank you
    write back as soon as possible
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Hi all, I'm not being smart but a lot of these centres seem very cultish. I'm looking for somewhere to help with meditation etc... but they either charge ridiculous amounts of money (which is a bit off) or seem to have massive sect overtones to me. Surely this should be free and open and not looking up to some particular 'guru' type. It sends off alarm bells in my head.

Is there a good, genuine buddhist centre in Dublin anyone knows about where we can simply sit, and look for advice if required.

Thanks,
    Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kerfuffle

Hello Ross,

I did a beginners meditation course earlier this year in the Dublin Buddhist Centre and would highly recommend them. Teachers were excellent, a wide mix of people and all in all a very professional, enjoyable course Down side was price, Eur 150 for 5 weeks. However, once you do the inital beginners course you can attend a drop-in class on a Friday evening on a donation basis (still have to try that).

I attended the Tara Meditation Centre recently to see what that was like (it is on a weekly donation rather than course basis) and had a bad experience there. Won't go into details but I definately got the 'cult' vibe there from almost as soon as I arrived there. Organisers were not very friendly and one grinned inanely the whole time like she had had a lobotomy.:o

Good luck with your search anyway. I definately would like to do more meditation courses -is tough doing it on your own at home, the course structure really helps.

• Advertisement

kerfuffle wrote: »
    Hello Ross,

I did a beginners meditation course earlier this year in the Dublin Buddhist Centre and would highly recommend them. Teachers were excellent, a wide mix of people and all in all a very professional, enjoyable course Down side was price, Eur 150 for 5 weeks. However, once you do the inital beginners course you can attend a drop-in class on a Friday evening on a donation basis (still have to try that).

I attended the Tara Meditation Centre recently to see what that was like (it is on a weekly donation rather than course basis) and had a bad experience there. Won't go into details but I definately got the 'cult' vibe there from almost as soon as I arrived there. Organisers were not very friendly and one grinned inanely the whole time like she had had a lobotomy.:o

Good luck with your search anyway. I definately would like to do more meditation courses -is tough doing it on your own at home, the course structure really helps.

I second the Dublin Buddhist centre, nice bunch of guys over there. I think they've moved north side recently.
    The Buddhist centre in Inchicore is good too. Tuesday night talks with Donal Creedon are nice, you can just sit and listen and ask questions, no need to join, no need to sign anything or follow anyone if you don't want. No price either, just a donation.

www.buddhism.ie

Advertisement