Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought halflife generation and I cant get it to run...

Options
  • 04-09-2004 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

Ive checked the "if youre game doesnt work read this" thread and I did anyhting I thought my be wrong but nothing. im running on an amd athlon 1.7ghz, nvidia geforce2, 768mb ram, direct x 9,

I installed half life then when i tried to play the monitor seemed to just turn off or go into a sleep mode or somethin. I could hear the start of the game but could see no picture. I then installled counter-strike but the same thing happened. I can hear the VALVE intro and then nothing. I get out of it by pressing ctrl + esc and it says the game is still open on the bar along the botttom of my screen. I thebn clicked and it just went back to how it was.

I was wondering if anybody knows what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

try sticking this after your halflife shortcut

hl.exe -dev -toconsole

hl.exe shown for reference do not add another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Sounds like the game is starting up using a refresh-rate that your monitor doesn't like.
    I'd say have a look in your display properties for the nVidia control panel, IIRC they have a refreshrate override somewhere in there.
    Or you could try a program like "reforce" to set your refresh rates to your monitors max rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

hey TBA, I tried what you said to do. I assume by the .exe file you mean the main half life file in the program files folder yea?

is that reforce program any good? its not gonna kill my pc is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

evad_lhorg wrote:
    hey TBA, I tried what you said to do. I assume by the .exe file you mean the main half life file in the program files folder yea?

is that reforce program any good? its not gonna kill my pc is it?
    god no
    your shortcut like on the desktop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What reforce will do, is look at what monitor you have installed... look at the information windows has about it... find the maximum supported refresh rate for each resolution, then set the maximum and minimum to the same value... this will lock your refresh rate at the highest your monitor will support.
    It really depends on what monitor you have installed though, I found it worked perfectly with my monitor installed as an "LG CS99DE" or whatever, but it was a bit off the mark when I had it installed as a "Plug & Play monitor".
    Although it's a simple enough program to use, don't do it if you don't feel comfortable with the idea... ie- make sure you can use windows restore points and/or "last known good configuration" just incase anything does go wonkey.

I'd say it's safer to just use the nVidia control panel and see what you can do there before trying anything else.

• Advertisement

ok i got that reforce thing but that made it worse. It made the monitor like that all the time. turns out it's the monitor thats the problem becaues I got my sisters one from downstairs which is a big one thats new and it worked fine on it. so i turned off all that reforce shat and tried to hook the old one up again and it wont display 1024x768 anymore for somereason. it just keeps going into sleep mode or whatever and you can hear the static from the screen. what do I do to get the resolution back? ill just play half life on the other pc but i need to get thhis res back cause 800x600 is waaaayyyy too BIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Try re-installing the monitor drivers and you should be able to get back the 1024x768 pixel resolution.

emmmm?? :confused:

Advertisement