Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mooncakes

Options
  • 03-09-2004 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

With thousands of Chinese in Ireland, I reckon there must be mooncakes available in Dublin coming up to the mid-Autumn festival.

So, where can I get mooncakes in Dublin? If it's useful, I prefer the ones made of lotus seed paste without the egg yolk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Oriental Emporium may stock them on George's Street, failing that the Asia Market on Drury St. Haven't been in either in Donkey's years, so I'm not 100% sure if they do stock them or not.

BTW: Please ask a few mates interested in the language to be an active member here? :D;):p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Demeant0r wrote:
    BTW: Please ask a few mates interested in the language to be an active member here? :D;):p:)
    I would if I knew any - I'd love to see more discussion here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I'm still interested in the language but...

...nothing much being said, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

No, there isn't that much being said at all.

For the record, I despise mooncakes. Chinese food is fantastic but their desserts leave a lot to be desired. Why would anyone pick green bean soup over cake or ice-cream?

If you're looking for mooncakes though, there seem to be a few asian food stores in Rathmines these days that I'm sure would stock them.

Lantis wrote:
    I'm still interested in the language but...

...nothing much being said, is there?
    strawberry wrote:
    No, there isn't that much being said at all.
    Well then be inquisitive, ask questions on the board, because without you members, there really ain't any use for this board :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

There's a chinese supermarkey on moore street which sell food but not sure about mooncakes.... possibly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Draíochta

上个星期我在中国商店地址:clondalkin parkwest 看见有卖月饼的.
    你应该会在爱尔兰所有的chinese商店都可以买到的.

Last week I was in the chinese shop in parkwest industrial estate and I seen some mooncakes.
    This means you should be able to get mooncakes in any chinese shop.
    Mooncake day falls on the 28th Sep. this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's another big oriental emp on Abbey Street (the Jervis Street end), and there's a big moslem-type shop with a lot of oriental stuff on Mary Street.

Dra&#237 wrote: »
    上个星期我在中国商店地址:clondalkin parkwest 看见有卖月饼的.
    你应该会在爱尔兰所有的chinese商店都可以买到的.

Last week I was in the chinese shop in parkwest industrial estate and I seen some mooncakes.
    This means you should be able to get mooncakes in any chinese shop.
    Mooncake day falls on the 28th Sep. this year.
    There's a Chinese shop in Parkwest? Can I buy mooncakes there or is it trade-only? That would be very handy for me.

Yes it's for whole sale but you can shop if you like they don't stop you, you could just buy one thing if you want. It is off the third round about as you come from crumlin, not the second, and it's around the very back.

是的, 它是为了你大量的购买,但是你可以够买如果你喜欢他们不阻拦你, 你可以仅仅买一样如果你喜欢. 你从Crumlin走出到了第三个转盘,不是第二个, 然后走正对面的路.

• Advertisement

I might visit Dublin sometime this year. Just a question, is Moon Cake on sale all year or is it just for this period of the year?

Demeant0r wrote:
    I might visit Dublin sometime this year. Just a question, is Moon Cake on sale all year or is it just for this period of the year?

不,no i don't think so, only around 月饼节

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

what are moon cakes?

what are moon cakes?
    A mooncake is a sweet, rich, dense paste made from red beans or lotus seeds surrounding a salty egg yolk and all covered with a thin pastry. Tastes much better than it sounds really, especially if you avoid the egg and it's particularly nice with tea.

There are lots of variations on the above, e.g. ice cream mooncakes from Haagen Dazs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Mooncake day is like pancake tuesday? So tommorow I can say "Happy mooncake day" to my chinese friends? Is it a well know feast day in China?

中秋节快乐!

I don't know if that's the right way to say that :D

Got my mooncakes in the Oriental Emporium on Abbey Street at the weekend and passed them out in work. Big hit!

Advertisement