Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House With Underneath Basement Apartment ?

Options
  • 03-09-2004 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I noticed a 3-storey terraced house for sale which has a separately owned basement apartment which is rented out.

I was wondering if there might be anything specific to this situation which I should consider?

Are there generally any problems associated with having a separately owned basement apartment under a house? Such as structural (or insurance), or any other problems?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Was the buiding originally built as a duplex, or is this some sort of conversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Poppinz wrote:
    I noticed a 3-storey terraced house for sale which has a separately owned basement apartment which is rented out.

I was wondering if there might be anything specific to this situation which I should consider?

Are there generally any problems associated with having a separately owned basement apartment under a house? Such as structural (or insurance), or any other problems?

Thanks for any advice!
    Main issues with basement conversions is to check for damp. Get a proper survey done on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Poppinz

Borzoi wrote:
    Was the buiding originally built as a duplex, or is this some sort of conversion?

The basement apartment is a recent conversion according to the estate agents brochure.

The house is probably Victorian, and the basement would have belonged to the house, but I gather the seller has sealed the basement off from the main house and converted it to an apartment so they have two properties to sell.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Main issues with basement conversions is to check for damp. Get a proper survey done on it.

Thanks Lex - I'd really be interested in the house as the apartment is tiny. It consists of just 3 rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm. Iffy proposition. Are you buying leasehold or freehold?

Who owns the land underneath? Is the legal agreement set up already?

Who is responsible for maintaining common areas? Who is responsible for the structure of the building? Will the basement have to pay for roof repairs and the house for foundation repairs?

Rising damp (whatever about penetrating damp) shouldn't be an issue as I take it you are taking the upper half of the house. Is the separation between the two halves fireproofed? To what standard? Do they have certificates? Is it soundproofed? Do the have planning permission?

Sounds like a lemon where you buy one and get stuck with something/one you don't want. And if you try to buy both you get screwed on price.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much Victor!

Actually that does give me a lot to think about. Thanks for that.

Advertisement